EHB 2442 -
By Senator Liias
On page 3, beginning on line 1, strike all of section 2 and insert the following:
"Sec. 2 RCW 36.17.040 and 1991 c 363 s 53 are each amended to
read as follows:
(1) The salaries of county officers and employees of counties other than counties with a population of less than five thousand may be paid twice monthly out of the county treasury, and the county auditor, for services rendered from the first to the fifteenth day, inclusive, may, not later than the last day of the month, draw a warrant upon the county treasurer in favor of each of ((
such)) the officers and
employees for the amount of salary due him or her, and (( such)) the
county auditor, for services rendered from the sixteenth to the last
day, inclusive, may similarly draw a warrant, not later than the
fifteenth day of the following month, and the county legislative
authority, with the concurrence of the county auditor, may enter an
order on the record journal empowering him or her so to do(( :
(2) However, if the county legislative authority does not adopt the semimonthly pay plan, it, by resolution, shall designate the first pay period as a draw day. Not more than forty percent of ((
earned monthly salary of each such county officer or employee shall be
paid to him or her on the draw day, and the payroll deductions of such
officer or employee shall not be deducted from the salary to be paid on
the draw day. If officers and employees are paid once a month, the
draw day shall not be later than the last day of each month. The
balance of the earned monthly salary of each such officer or employee
shall be paid not later than the fifteenth day of the following month.
(3) In counties with a population of less than five thousand salaries shall be paid monthly unless the county legislative authority by resolution adopts the foregoing draw day procedure.
(4) A county may pay salaries and wages of county employees in accordance with RCW 41.04.240.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3 A new section is added to chapter 36.17 RCW
to read as follows:
(1) Any county that elects to disburse funds in accordance with RCW 41.04.240(5) for payment of salaries and wages for all county employees must deliver a report to the legislature within twelve months of electing that option.
(2) The report required under subsection (1) of this section must include:
(a) The percentages of county employees who receive payment of salaries and wages under RCW 41.04.240(2)(a) and under RCW 41.04.240(2)(b); and
(b) With regard to salaries and wages disbursed in accordance with RCW 41.04.240(2)(b):
(i) The average amount and range of the salaries and wages;
(ii) Each method of payment; and
(iii) Whether each method of payment is subject to a fee or charge and the amount of the fee or charge, if any."
EHB 2442 -
By Senator Liias
On page 1, line 2 of the title, after "41.04.240" strike the remainder of the title and insert "and 36.17.040; and adding a new section to chapter 36.17 RCW."
EFFECT: Adds a technical amendment to an existing provision regarding payment of salaries by counties. Deletes language requiring the Washington State Institute for Public Policy to conduct a study of counties electing to mandate payment of salary and wages electronically or by alternate means. Instead, any county electing to do so must report to the Legislature within 12 months of doing so. The report must include information regarding percentages of employees receiving salaries and wages through payment to financial institutions and through payment by alternate means and, with regard to payment by alternate means, the average amount and range of salaries, each payment method, and whether each payment method is subject to a fee or charge and the amount, if any.