BILL REQ. #: H-0252.1
|State of Washington||63rd Legislature||2013 Regular Session|
Read first time 01/17/13. Referred to Committee on Labor & Workforce Development.
AN ACT Relating to preventing the curtailment of employment opportunities by allowing employers to pay a training wage for a specified period of time; and adding a new section to chapter 49.46 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1 A new section is added to chapter 49.46 RCW
to read as follows:
The director shall establish procedures for the issuance of special training certificates to employers to pay wages to new employees during a training period at seventy-five percent of the minimum wage required under RCW 49.46.020 or the minimum wage rate required under federal law, whichever is greater. The following restrictions apply to the use of the training certificates:
(1) The training period may last for a maximum of six hundred eighty hours;
(2) Employers may only use this special training certificate once per employee;
(3) Only employers with fifty employees or fewer may use the special training certificate;
(4) Employees working under this special training certificate may not constitute more than ten percent of an employer's workforce, except that employers with fewer than ten employees may employ one employee at a time using the special training certificate; and
(5) If an employer discharges an employee working under the special training certificate prior to the completion of six hundred eighty hours, the employer must notify the director and provide an explanation for the discharge. The employer may not replace the discharged employee with another employee working under a special training certificate for one year from the date of the discharge.