HOUSE BILL REPORT
This analysis was prepared by non-partisan legislative staff for the use of legislative members in their deliberations. This analysis is not a part of the legislation nor does it constitute a statement of legislative intent.
As Reported by House Committee On:
Title: An act relating to the distribution of monetary penalties to local courts and state agencies paid for failure to comply with discover pass requirements.
Brief Description: Concerning the distribution of monetary penalties to local courts and state agencies paid for failure to comply with discover pass requirements.
Sponsors: Representatives Tharinger, Blake, Kretz and Mosbrucker.
Appropriations: 1/28/19, 1/23/20 [DPS].
HOUSE COMMITTEE ON APPROPRIATIONS
Majority Report: The substitute bill be substituted therefor and the substitute bill do pass. Signed by 31 members: Representatives Ormsby, Chair; Robinson, 1st Vice Chair; Bergquist, 2nd Vice Chair; Stokesbary, Ranking Minority Member; MacEwen, Assistant Ranking Minority Member; Rude, Assistant Ranking Minority Member; Caldier, Chandler, Chopp, Cody, Corry, Dolan, Dye, Fitzgibbon, Hansen, Hoff, Hudgins, Kilduff, Kraft, Macri, Mosbrucker, Pettigrew, Pollet, Ryu, Schmick, Senn, Sullivan, Sutherland, Tarleton, Tharinger and Ybarra.
Staff: Dan Jones (786-7118).
The Discover Pass is an annual pass that allows a vehicle to access state recreation lands owned by the State Parks and Recreation Commission (State Parks), the Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW), or the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The cost of a Discover Pass is $30. The cost of a day-use permit, which serves the same function as the annual pass but is only valid for one calendar day, is $10. Revenue from both passes is initially deposited in the Recreation Access Pass Account, and is then distributed to the three agencies as follows: 84 percent to State Parks (State Parks Renewal and Stewardship Account), 8 percent to the DFW (State Wildlife Account), and 8 percent to the DNR (Park Land Trust Revolving Fund).
A vehicle access pass is a pass issued during the purchase of a qualifying hunting or fishing license. A vehicle access pass may be displayed instead of a Discover Pass or day-use permit on DFW recreation lands. A number of other exemptions exist to the Discover Pass or day-use permit requirement, such as camping in a state park or driving on roads operated by the DNR or the DFW.
The penalty for failing to display a valid pass on state recreation lands is $99. This penalty must be reduced to $59 if the individual provides proof of purchase of a Discover Pass, day-use permit, or vehicle access pass to the court within 15 days of the violation, regardless of which date the pass is purchased. Counties must transfer revenue received from this penalty to the State Treasurer for deposit into the Recreation Access Pass Account.
Summary of Substitute Bill:
Counties must transfer 75 percent of revenue from state recreation access pass infraction penalties to the state for deposit into the Recreation Access Pass Account, rather than 100 percent. The other 25 percent is retained by the county.
Substitute Bill Compared to Original Bill:
The substitute bill requires all counties to retain 25 percent of state recreation pass infraction penalties, rather than only counties with a population of less than 100,000.
Fiscal Note: Available.
Effective Date of Substitute Bill: The bill takes effect 90 days after adjournment of the session in which the bill is passed.
Staff Summary of Public Testimony:
See Committee Records in the 2019 Legislative Session.
Persons Testifying: See Committee Records in the 2019 Legislative Session.
Persons Signed In To Testify But Not Testifying: See Committee Records in the 2019 Legislative Session.