SENATE BILL REPORT
This analysis was prepared by non-partisan legislative staff for the use of legislative members in their deliberations. This analysis is not a part of the legislation nor does it constitute a statement of legislative intent.
As of February 17, 2020
Title: An act relating to the distribution of monetary penalties to local courts and state agencies paid for failure to comply with discover pass requirements.
Brief Description: Concerning the distribution of monetary penalties to local courts and state agencies paid for failure to comply with discover pass requirements.
Sponsors: House Committee on Appropriations (originally sponsored by Representatives Tharinger, Blake, Kretz and Mosbrucker).
Brief History: Passed House: 2/12/20, 93-0; 2/12/20, 97-0.
Committee Activity: Agriculture, Water, Natural Resources & Parks: 2/20/20.
SENATE COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE, WATER, NATURAL RESOURCES & PARKS
Staff: Karen Epps (786-7424)
Background: The Discover Pass is an annual pass that allows a vehicle to access state recreation lands owned by the State Parks and Recreation Commission (State Parks), the Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW), or the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The cost of a Discover Pass is $30. The cost of a day-use permit, which serves the same function as the annual pass but is only valid for one calendar day, is $10. Revenue from both passes is initially deposited in the Recreation Access Pass Account, and is then distributed to the three agencies as follows: 84 percent to State Parks, 8 percent to DFW, and 8 percent to DNR.
Discover Pass Infraction Revenue. Failure to comply with the Discover Pass requirement is a natural resource infraction with a statutory fine of $99. This penalty must be reduced to $59 if an individual provides proof of purchase of a Discover Pass to the court within 15 days after the issuance of the notice of violation. Counties must transfer revenue received from this penalty to the state treasurer for deposit into the Recreation Access Pass Account.
Infraction Revenue in General. Thirty-two percent of fines assessed or collected through a district court are provided to the state for deposit in the state general fund, while the remainder is retained by the county. All fines assessed and collected for county parking infractions are retained by the county.
Summary of Bill: The county treasurer must transfer 75 percent of revenue from state recreation access pass infraction penalties to the state for deposit into the Recreation Access Pass Account, rather than 100 percent. The other 25 percent is retained by the county.
Fiscal Note: Available.
Creates Committee/Commission/Task Force that includes Legislative members: No.
Effective Date: Ninety days after adjournment of session in which bill is passed.