HOUSE BILL 1030
State of Washington
2019 Regular Session
ByRepresentatives Walsh, Shea, Irwin, Vick, and Young
Prefiled 12/06/18.Read first time 01/14/19.Referred to Committee on State Government & Tribal Relations.
AN ACT Relating to disciplinary action for state officials and employees who provide false testimony to the legislature; amending RCW 42.52.520
; adding a new section to chapter 42.52
RCW; and prescribing penalties.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1.
A new section is added to chapter 42.52
RCW to read as follows:
(1) No state officer or state employee may knowingly represent a materially incorrect fact, statement, claim, or record in giving testimony to a legislative committee.
(2) For purposes of this section, "knowingly" means having actual knowledge of false information or acting in reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the information.
(3) Disciplinary action for a violation of this section may include termination of employment.
and 1994 c 154 s 222 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) A violation of this chapter or rules adopted under it is grounds for disciplinary action.
(2) The procedures for any such action shall correspond to those applicable for disciplinary action for employee misconduct generally; for those state officers and state employees not specifically exempted in chapter 41.06
RCW, the rules set forth in chapter 41.06
RCW shall apply. Disciplinary action for a violation of section 1 of this act may include termination of employment for any state officer or state employee.
Any action against the state officer or state employee shall be subject to judicial review to the extent provided by law for disciplinary action for misconduct of state officers and state employees of the same category and grade.
--- END ---