SENATE BILL 5664
State of Washington
2019 Regular Session
BySenators Cleveland and Wilson, C.
Read first time 01/25/19.Referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to implementing an identicard program to provide individuals a Washington state issued identicard; amending RCW 46.20.117
; adding a new section to chapter 43.185C
RCW; and creating a new section.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1.
A new section is added to chapter 43.185C
RCW to read as follows:
(1) Subject to the availability of amounts appropriated for this specific purpose, the department, working in conjunction with the department of licensing, shall create and implement an identicard program to provide homeless individuals within Washington state a state-issued identicard pursuant to RCW 46.20.117
(2) A homeless individual is eligible for a no cost original or renewal identicard pursuant to this section on a one-time basis, provided the individual:
(a) Meets the department of licensing criteria under RCW 46.20.117
(b) Meets the definition of a homeless person pursuant to RCW 43.185C.010
, which can be on a sheltered or unsheltered basis;
(c) Is expected to reside in a location within Washington state; and
(d) Does not have a current and valid state-issued identicard or driver's license.
and 2018 c 157 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Issuance. The department shall issue an identicard, containing a picture, if the applicant:
(a) Does not hold a valid Washington driver's license;
(b) Proves his or her identity as required by RCW 46.20.035
(c)(i) Pays the required fee. Except as provided in (c)(ii) of this subsection and subsection (5) of this section, the fee is fifty-four dollars, unless an applicant is:
A recipient of continuing public assistance grants under Title 74
RCW, who is referred in writing by the secretary of social and health services;
(((ii)))(B) Under the age of eighteen and does not have a permanent residence address as determined by the department by rule; or
An individual who is scheduled to be released from an institution as defined in RCW 13.40.020
, a community facility as defined in RCW 72.05.020
, or other juvenile rehabilitation facility operated by the department of social and health services or the department of children, youth, and families; or an individual who has been released from such an institution or facility within thirty calendar days before the date of the application.
For those persons under (c)(i)(A) through (((iii)))(C) of this subsection, the fee must be the actual cost of production of the identicard.
(ii) A homeless individual eligible for issuance of an identicard under section 1 of this act may not be charged a fee. The department shall ensure that an individual is not eligible for a no fee identicard more than once. The department and the department of commerce shall develop a mechanism to cover the costs of the identicards issued under this subsection.
(2)(a) Design and term. The identicard must:
(i) Be distinctly designed so that it will not be confused with the official driver's license; and
(ii) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, expire on the sixth anniversary of the applicant's birthdate after issuance.
(b) The identicard may include the person's status as a veteran, consistent with RCW 46.20.161
(3) Renewal. An application for identicard renewal may be submitted by means of:
(a) Personal appearance before the department; or
(b) Mail or electronic commerce, if permitted by rule of the department and if the applicant did not renew his or her identicard by mail or by electronic commerce when it last expired.
An identicard may not be renewed by mail or by electronic commerce unless the renewal issued by the department includes a photograph of the identicard holder.
. The department may cancel an identicard if the holder of the identicard used the card or allowed others to use the card in violation of RCW 46.20.0921
(5) Alternative issuance/renewal/extension. The department may issue or renew an identicard for a period other than six years, or may extend by mail or electronic commerce an identicard that has already been issued, in order to evenly distribute, as nearly as possible, the yearly renewal rate of identicard holders. The fee for an identicard issued or renewed for a period other than six years, or that has been extended by mail or electronic commerce, is nine dollars for each year that the identicard is issued, renewed, or extended. The department may adopt any rules as are necessary to carry out this subsection.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. The department of commerce and the department of licensing may enter into a memorandum of understanding to meet the requirements of this act, and have discretion to implement this act over a period of time not to exceed twelve months from the effective date of this section.
--- END ---