FISH AND WILDLIFE
Date of Adoption: February 10, 2001.
Purpose: Amend personal use rules.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 220-56-315.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 77.12.047.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 01-02-013 on December 21, 2000.
Changes Other than Editing from Proposed to Adopted Version: Three units of gear amendment not adopted.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0. Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
March 13, 2001
for Russell W. Cahill, Chair
Fish and Wildlife Commission
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Order 00-29, filed 3/29/00, effective 5/1/00)
WAC 220-56-315 Crabs, shrimp, crawfish -- Unlawful acts. (1) It is unlawful to take and possess crabs, shrimp, and crawfish taken for personal use except by hand or with hand dip nets, ring nets, shellfish pots, and any hand-operated instrument that will not penetrate the shell.
(2) It is unlawful to use more than two units of gear at any one time except:
(a) In Puget Sound waters other than Hood Canal Shrimp
5)) it is unlawful to use at any one time more than
two units of gear for the purpose of taking crabs and two
additional units of gear for the purpose of taking shrimp.
(b) In Hood Canal Shrimp District ((
5 (Hood Canal))) it is
unlawful to use more than one shrimp pot and a total of two star
traps or ring nets during the Hood Canal shrimp season. It is
unlawful for the operator of any boat from which shrimp pots are
set or pulled to have on board or to fish more than four shrimp
(3) It is unlawful for any person to operate a shellfish pot not attached to a buoy bearing that person's name, except that a second person may assist the pot owner in operation of the gear.
(4) It is unlawful to salvage or attempt to salvage shellfish pot gear from Hood Canal that has been lost without first obtaining a permit authorizing such activity issued by the director, and it is unlawful to fail to comply with all provisions of such permit.
(5) It is unlawful to fish for or possess crab taken for personal use from the waters of Fidalgo Bay within 25 yards of the Burlington Northern Railroad trestle connecting March Point and Anacortes.
(6) It is unlawful to fish for or possess crab taken for personal use with shellfish pot or ring net gear from the waters of Padilla Bay or Swinomish Slough within 25 yards of the Burlington Northern Railroad crossing the northern end of Swinomish Slough except from one hour before official sunrise to one hour after official sunset.
(7) It is unlawful to dig for or possess ghost or mud shrimp taken for personal use by any method except hand operated suction devices or dug by hand.
(8) One unit of gear is equivalent to one ring net or one shellfish pot.
(9) Each unit of gear must be attached to its own buoy line and have a separate buoy for each unit of gear.
(10) No fisher may set or pull shellfish pots, ring nets or star traps from a vessel in all state waters from one hour after official sunset to one hour before official sunrise.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080, 77.12.040. 00-08-038 (Order 00-29), 220-56-315, filed 3/29/00, effective 5/1/00; 98-06-031, 220-56-315, filed 2/26/98, effective 5/1/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 75.08.080. 94-14-069, 220-56-315, filed 7/1/94, effective 8/1/94; 93-08-034 (Order 93-20), 220-56-315, filed 3/31/93, effective 5/1/93; 92-11-012 (Order 92-19), 220-56-315, filed 5/12/92, effective 6/12/92; 89-07-060 (Order 89-12), 220-56-315, filed 3/16/89; 81-05-027 (Order 81-13), 220-56-315, filed 2/17/81, effective 4/1/81; 80-03-064 (Order 80-12), 220-56-315, filed 2/27/80, effective 4/1/80.]