Date of Adoption: January 17, 2003.
Purpose: To allow individuals who hold National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification to have the endorsements on their national certificates placed on their Washington teaching certificates.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 180-82A-204.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: Individuals with National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification are not always eligible to have the same teaching endorsements on their Washington teaching certificates. This causes them to be ineligible to accept teaching positions in a district where a need exists.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: Immediately.
January 23, 2003
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 02-04-013, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02)
WAC 180-82A-204 Endorsement requirements. (1) Candidates completing endorsements required to obtain a residency certificate, shall complete college/university teacher preparation programs approved by the state board of education pursuant to chapter 180-78A WAC, which include methodology (see WAC 180-78A-264(5)) and field experience/internship (see WAC 180-78A-264(6)) and pursuant to endorsement program approval requirements in this chapter.
(2) In order to add an additional endorsement, the candidate shall:
(a) Have completed a state-approved endorsement program which includes methodology (see WAC 180-78A-264(5)) and addresses all endorsement-specific competencies adopted by the state board of education and published by the superintendent of public instruction. The requirement for field experience shall be at the discretion of the college/university. Provided, that in cases where programs require a field experience/internship, the colleges/universities should make every attempt to allow the individual to complete field-based requirements for the endorsement within the confines of the individual's teaching schedule; or
(b) Achieve National Board certification in a Washington teaching endorsement area and hold a valid National Board certificate.
(3) Candidates from out-of-state shall be required to present verification that they completed a state-approved program (equivalent to a major) in a Washington endorsement area.
(4) Course work used to meet endorsement requirements must be completed through a regionally accredited college/university.
(5) Only course work in which an individual received a grade of C (2.0) or higher or a grade of pass on a pass-fail system of grading shall be counted toward the course work required for the approved endorsement program.
(6) Nothing within this chapter precludes a college or university from adopting additional requirements as conditions for recommendation, by such college or university, to the superintendent of public instruction for a particular subject area endorsement.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410 RCW and RCW 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-013, § 180-82A-204, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02.]