July - December 2003
1. Procedural and Ethics Rules. At the May 8, 2001, meeting, the board decided to continue with permanent rule making on its rule for procedure and ethics, which will update the board's administrative procedures, and provide new rules on public record requests and executive ethics. Proposed permanent rule language is still being drafted. The board will consider the proposed rules at the May 2003 meeting.
2. Editorial and Minor Rule Changes. The current permanent rules are being reviewed for editorial and minor clarification changes. This may result in a rule proposal.
3. Marbled Murrelet Rules. The board will consider an emergency rule proposal at the May 2003 meeting. The emergency rules would reflect an updated survey protocol. A permanent rule proposal will also be considered.
4. Cultural Resources. The TFW Cultural Resources Committee is reviewing the forest practices rule governing cultural resource protection, and developing a cultural resource management plan and watershed analysis module for cultural resources. The board will consider rule making at the May 2003 meeting.
5. Other Legislative Mandated Changes. Legislation that is passed during the 2003 session will be reviewed to determine if new rule making will need to occur. Legislation passed during the 2003 session that will require new rule making includes SSB 6241 pertaining to Christmas trees.
6. Road Maintenance and Abandonment Plans. Pending 2003 legislation, the board may consider emergency rule making at the May 2003 meeting.
7. Salmonid Adaptive Management. The Forests and Fish Policy Committee will be reviewing results from scientific projects for rule modifications.
Contact Person: Patricia Anderson, FPB Rules Coordinator, Department of Natural Resources, Forest Practices Division, P.O. Box 47012, Olympia, WA 98504-7012, phone (360) 902-1413, fax (360) 902-1428, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.