The Department of Revenue has issued the following Property Tax Advisory: Property Tax Advisory 11.0.2003 (Application of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act of 1940 to Property Tax Administration). This advisory explains the relief available to active duty military personnel and their families. Topics of the advisory include:
1. Relief from foreclosure or sale of a service member's property;
2. Relief from some penalties and interest on delinquent property tax obligations;
3. Temporary relief from any tax or assessment through court proceedings;
4. Relief for personal property taxes of nonresident military personnel;
5. Taxation of mobile homes owned by nonresident military personnel.
The Department of Revenue has cancelled the following Property Tax Bulletin: Property Tax Bulletin 91-15 (Application of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940 to Property Tax Administration). This bulletin is no longer needed as the subject matter is addressed in PTA 11.
Copies of these documents are available via the internet at http://dor.wa.gov/content/Property_Tax/prop_rnls.asp or a request for copies may be directed to Velinda Brown, Property Tax Division, P.O. Box 47471, Olympia, WA 98504-7471, phone (360) 570-5865, fax (360) 586-7602.
Alan R. Lynn