Date of Adoption: January 28, 2004.
Purpose: The legislature passed HB 1099 in 1997, codified in chapter 122, Laws of 1997, and RCW 41.26.195. The Department of Retirement Systems is adopting a new WAC to explain its long-standing policy and practice in implementing this statute.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 41.50.050(5), 41.26.195.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 04-01-048 on December 11, 2003.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 1, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: March 1, 2004.
January 28, 2004
GENERAL RULES AFFECTING MULTIPLE PLANS AND SYSTEMS
WAC 415-02-200 Can I transfer former LEOFF Plan 1 service? If you are a member of PERS, TRS, SERS, or WSPRS, and you have previously established service credit in LEOFF Plan 1, you may irrevocably choose to transfer your LEOFF Plan 1 service to your current retirement system and plan subject to the following conditions:
(1) The choice to transfer service must be filed in writing with the department no later than one year from the date you become employed by a PERS, TRS, SERS, or WSPRS employer in an eligible position.
(2) If you transfer your service credit under this section:
(a) You will forfeit (lose) all rights to benefits as a LEOFF Plan 1 member and will be permanently excluded from membership.
(b) Your transferred service will not apply to the eligibility requirements for military service credit as defined in RCW 41.40.170(3) for PERS Plan 1 or in RCW 43.43.260(3) for WSPRS Plan 1.
(3) When you transfer your service credit under this section to your current retirement system and plan, DRS will transfer:
(a) All of your accumulated LEOFF Plan 1 contributions;
(b) An amount sufficient to ensure that the employer contribution rate in your current system and plan will not increase because of the transfer; and
(c) All applicable months of LEOFF Plan 1 service credit, as defined in RCW 41.26.030 (14)(a).
(4) If you previously withdrew contributions from LEOFF Plan 1, you:
(a) May restore the contributions, together with interest as determined by the director, and recover the service represented by the contributions for the sole purpose of transferring service under this section;
(b) Must restore the contributions before the transfer can occur; and
(c) Must complete the restoration within the time limitations specified in subsection (1) of this section.
(5) If you do not meet the time limitations of subsection (1) of this section, you may restore any withdrawn contributions and transfer service under this section by paying the amount required under subsection (3)(b) of this section less any employee contributions transferred.
(6) Terms used:
LEOFF - Law enforcement officers' and fire fighters' retirement system.
PERS - Public employees' retirement system.
SERS - School employees' retirement system.
TRS - Teachers' retirement system.
WSPRS - Washington state patrol retirement system.