Exempt from preproposal statement of inquiry under RCW 34.05.310(4).
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: New sections WAC 357-49-010 A director's review may be requested for what actions?, 357-49-015 How does an individual or employee request a director's review?, and 357-49-020 What process is used to conduct a director's review?
Hearing Location(s): Department of Personnel, 521 Capitol Way South, Olympia, WA, on July 29, 2004, at 10:00 a.m.
Date of Intended Adoption: July 29, 2004.
Submit Written Comments to: Sharon Whitehead, Department of Personnel, P.O. Box 47500, FOR DOP TRACKING PURPOSES PLEASE NOTE ON SUBMITTED COMMENTS "FORMAL COMMENT," fax (360) 586-4694, by July 23, 2004.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Department of Personnel by July 23, 2004, TTY (360) 753-4107 or (360) 586-8260.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The proposed rules address reviews by the director of the Department of Personnel on such things as allocation or reallocation, a performance evaluation process or an alleged violation of the civil service laws.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 41.06 RCW.
Statute Being Implemented: RCW 41.06.150.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Agency Comments or Recommendations, if any, as to Statutory Language, Implementation, Enforcement, and Fiscal Matters: Due to the passage of SHB 1268 the director of the Department of Personnel has rule-making authority regarding director's reviews. The proposed rules implement this provision of the Personnel System Reform Act.
Name of Proponent: Department of Personnel, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Sharon Whitehead, 521 Capitol Way South, Olympia, WA, (360) 664-6348; Implementation and Enforcement: Department of Personnel.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not required.
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328.
June 23, 2004
E. C. Matt
(2) An employee may request a director's review of the following:
(a) Allocation or reallocation per WAC 357-13-080; or
(b) Performance evaluation process or procedure per WAC 357-37-080.
(3) In addition to the subjects listed in section (2) of this rule, an employee may request a director's review of an alleged violation of the civil service laws or rules within thirty days of the date the employee could reasonably be expected to have knowledge of the action giving rise to a law or rule violation claim or the stated effective date, whichever is later. An employee may not request a director's review of allegations arising from the development and adoption of the classification plan under the provisions of WAC 357-10-020 or the actions of reduction, dismissal, suspension, demotion or separation.
(2) Review requests must include:
(a) The name and address of the employee, applicant or candidate;
(b) The name of the employer that took the action for which a review is requested;
(c) A telephone number at which the employee, applicant or candidate can be reached;
(d) The job classification or position of the employee;
(e) A short statement of the grounds or reasons for the request, and if applicable, the rule(s) the employee believes has been violated; and
(f) A short statement of the relief or remedy sought by the employee, applicant or candidate.
(3) The employee, applicant or candidate is responsible for notifying the director of any change in address or telephone number. Employees, applicants or candidates who are represented shall include the name, address and telephone number of their representative.
(2) The review may be conducted by review of written documents, by telephone, or by other electronic means as determined by the director or designee.
(3) The director or designee shall prepare a record of the documents reviewed and issue a written determination.