Purpose: Adds a new section to chapter 308-104 WAC to establish eligibility requirements for applicants to renew driver's licenses or identicards by electronic commerce. Makes a conforming amendment to WAC 308-104-010 to permit a waiver of the vision test for applicants renewing driver's licenses by mail or electronic commerce.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 308-104-010.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 46.01.110.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 04-17-121 on August 17, 2004.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 1, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 1, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: September 24, 2004.
Denise M. Movius
(a) Any person having less than a 20/40 Snellen vision acuity with both eyes combined either corrected or uncorrected, or having some apparent significant visual limitation, must have an eye examination by an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
(b) If an applicant's vision cannot be corrected so that
it will be within the 20/40 Snellen range for visual acuity or
other vision problems cannot be corrected, then he or she must
submit to a special examination in order to determine if a
or renewal)) shall be issued and (( if so what))
whether limitations or restrictions should be (( placed on the
driving privilege)) imposed.
(2) The department may waive the requirement for a vision test for any person applying to renew his or her driver's license by mail or electronic commerce if the person certifies on the application that his or her vision acuity is no less than 20/40 as measured on the Snellen test for visual acuity, either corrected or uncorrected, and that there are no other vision problems.
[Order 2, § 308-104-010, filed 6/26/68.]
(1) The department may send an authorization notice to a person whose valid driver's license is about to expire if the person:
(a) Is eligible to renew his or her driver's license by electronic commerce under the provisions of RCW 46.20.120 (3)(b) or (4)(b);
(b) Has previously been issued a digital driver's license;
(c) Is at least twenty-four and not more than sixty-five years of age;
(d) Has a valid social security number on file with the department;
(e) Has a valid mailing address on his or her driving record as maintained by the department;
(f) Does not have a commercial driver's license, instruction permit, or agricultural permit;
(g) Has not paid a fee owed to the department with a check that has been dishonored;
(h) Has not failed to appear, respond, or comply with the terms of or in response to a traffic citation or notice of traffic infraction; and
(i) Does not have any actions pending against his or her driver's license or driving privileges.
(2) A person applying for driver's license renewal by electronic commerce must:
(a) Certify that within the last six months he or she has not had a loss of consciousness or control that could impair his or her ability to operate a motor vehicle safely;
(b) Make the necessary certification under WAC 308-104-010(2); and
(c) Complete the required application and pay all applicable fees.
(3) The department may send an authorization notice to a person whose valid identicard is about to expire if the person:
(a) Is eligible to renew his or her identicard by electronic commerce under the provisions of RCW 46.20.117 (3)(b);
(b) Is at least twenty-four years of age; and
(c) Has previously been issued a digital identicard.
(4) A person applying for identicard renewal by electronic commerce must complete the required application and pay all applicable fees.
(5) The department may specify the means and establish procedures by which a person may make an application under this section.