Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 04-11-104.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: Amendments to chapter 308-63 WAC.
Hearing Location(s): Dealer and Manufacturer Services, 2424 Bristol Court, 3rd Floor Conference Room, Olympia, WA 98502, on January 31, 2005, at 2:30 p.m.
Date of Intended Adoption: February 14, 2005.
Submit Written Comments to: Kim Johnson, P.O. Box 9039, Olympia, WA 98504, e-mail email@example.com, fax (360) 586-6703 by January 24, 2005.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Linda Whipple by January 24, 2005, TTY (360) 664-0116 or (360) 664-6455.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: House-keeping amendments.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: These amendments are in keeping with the Governor's Executive Order 1997-02 concerning review of WACs.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 46.80.140.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Department of Licensing, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Cal Sanders, 2424 Bristol Court, Olympia, WA 98502, (360) 664-6459; Implementation: Chuck Coach, 2424 Bristol Court, Olympia, WA 98502, (360) 664-6453; and Enforcement: Daniel Devoe, 2424 Bristol Court, Olympia, WA 98502, (360) 664-6451.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. There is no small business impact. Provisions are already in statute.
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328. There is no business impact.
December 6, 2004
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 00-13-019, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00)
WAC 308-63-020 Definitions. May I acquire a vehicle or a vehicle part on a bill of sale? (1) Bill of sale for acquiring vehicles. A bill of sale shall include the names and addresses of the seller and purchaser; a description of the vehicle ((
or part)) being (( sold)) purchased, including
the make, model and identification or serial number; the date
of (( sale)) purchase; and the purchase price of the vehicle. Bills of sale are acceptable in lieu of title in the cases of:
(a) Vehicles from nontitle jurisdictions;
(b) When an insurance company or private owner has turned in the title to a vehicle previously destroyed as provided under WAC 308-56A-460; or
(c) For vehicles of the type to which titles are not issued.
(2) In the case of vehicle parts a bill of sale from the seller describing the specific part and giving the full name, address and verification of the seller's identity, plus date of sale. In addition, if a major component part is acquired the vehicle identification number from which it came must also be set forth on the bill of sale. A copy of each bill of sale shall be maintained on acquired parts for a period of three years.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-020, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-020, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-030, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-030, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
Motor)) Vehicle wrecker license plates shall expire
on the same date as the expiration of the license.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-050, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-050, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
The wrecker may purchase sets of plates equal in number to the number of vehicles reported on the application as owned, rented, leased and operated by the applicant for towing or transporting of vehicles or vehicle parts in the conduct of the business. Should the wrecker purchase, lease, or rent additional vehicles for towing or transporting of vehicles, the applicant shall so inform the department and may, at the department's discretion, obtain additional plates for such vehicles.
Each vehicle used for towing or transporting of vehicles or vehicle parts shall display both wrecker plates of the same number. However, when any vehicle being towed does not have valid license plates, the set of wrecker plates may be split, with one being displayed on the front of the towing vehicle and the other on the rear of the vehicle being towed.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-060, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-060, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
(1) Enclosure. The activities of a vehicle wrecker shall be conducted entirely within the established place of business. A physical barrier shall designate the boundary of the wrecking yard. Where necessary to obscure public view of the premises, it shall be enclosed by a sight-obscuring wall or fence at least eight feet high.
(a) Where required, such sight-obscuring wall or fence shall be painted or stained in a neutral shade to blend with the surrounding premises. If the fence is made of chain link, it must have sufficient slats or other construction to obscure public view of the premises.
(b) A living hedge of equal height and sufficient density to prevent view of the premises may be substituted for the wall or fence.
(c) All enclosures and barriers shall be kept in good repair.
(d) Reasonable consideration shall be given to the topography of the land by enforcement personnel when inspecting premises for such fence, enclosure or barrier.
(e) Exceptions to this section must be granted in writing by the department.
(2) Additional places of business. Each licensed vehicle wrecker may maintain one or more additional places of business within the same county, under the same permit. The vehicle wrecker may maintain as many storage yards or sales outlets as needed so long as each is registered with the department. Each wrecking or storage yard shall comply with local zoning regulations and with such other requirements as the department may provide, particularly those in subsection (1) of this section. Duplicate vehicle wrecker's licenses will be issued to be posted at each additional place of business.
(3) Change of address. The department shall be notified immediately of any change of address of any business location or of the addition of any such location.
(4) Display of license certificate. The license
certificate of a licensed wrecker shall be displayed
conspicuously at each business address((
(es))) and shall be
available for periodic inspection by law enforcement officers
and authorized representatives of the department.
(5) Identification of licensee's vehicles. All vehicles equipped for lifting or transporting vehicles or vehicle parts which are operated on the highways of this state shall display the licensee's name, the city in which the licensee's established place of business is located, and the current business telephone number of the licensee. Such information shall be painted on or permanently affixed to both sides of the vehicle. Each letter and numeral shall be made with at least a half-inch in solid width and shall be at least three inches high. See example.
(7) Major component parts. Under RCW 46.80.010((
(5) the term "engines, short blocks, transmissions and drive
axles" shall not include cores or parts which are limited to
value as scrap metal or for remanufacturing only. The term
"seat" shall be interpreted to mean bucket seat. The term
"drive axle" means a differential assembly.
(8) Vehicles in custody and awaiting approved ownership documents, as provided under WAC 308-63-080, must be placed in a segregated storage area within the wrecking yard which must be designated by a physical barrier. Vehicles may remain in this area after ownership documents have arrived and the vehicle has been properly entered into the wrecking yard inventory. There will be no dismantling or parts removal in this area. The physical barrier may be portable, made of substantial posts and connected by a chain, cable, or of other equally strong construction.
This area can be used for storage of dealer cars or equipment if the vehicle wrecker is both a vehicle wrecker and a dealer however, there will be no storage of vehicle parts.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 01-03-141, § 308-63-070, filed 1/24/01, effective 2/24/01; 00-13-019, § 308-63-070, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-070, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
(1) Certificate of title, including salvage certificates, properly endorsed in the case of vehicles from states issuing a title.
(2) Bills of sale pursuant to WAC 308-63-020(1) for vehicles from nontitle jurisdictions, for vehicles that have had their title surrendered to a state after having been declared a total loss, and for vehicles of the type to which titles are not issued.
(3) Affidavit of lost or stolen title if executed by the registered and legal owner of record.
(4) Insurance company bills of sale pursuant to WAC 308-56A-460(3).
(5) Affidavit of sale of an abandoned vehicle pursuant to WAC 308-61-026(1).
(6) Affidavit of junk vehicle pursuant to RCW 46.55.230.
(7) A court order.
(8) A bill of sale for parts pursuant to WAC 308-63-020(2).
(9) A bill of sale from another licensed vehicle wrecker.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-080, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-080, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
(a) A record of each vehicle or part acquired giving:
(i) A description of the vehicle or part by make, model, year, and for major component parts, except core parts, the vehicle identification number and "yard number" assigned at the time the vehicle or major component part was placed in the wrecking yard;
(ii) The date purchased or acquired by the vehicle wrecker, and the name of the person, firm or corporation from which the vehicle or part was obtained;
(iii) The certificate of title number if registered in a title state, or registration number if a nontitle state; or description of the document used in lieu of title, such as an affidavit of sale or a bill of sale for a vehicle or vehicle part;
(iv) The name of the state and license number in the state that a vehicle was last registered; and
(v) A statement indicating whether any used car or truck at least six years but not more than twenty years old met the market value threshold amount immediately before it was wrecked, destroyed or damaged, as required by RCW 46.12.070 and WAC 308-56A-460(3). If this statement is not provided, when required, the department will treat the vehicle as if the wrecker indicated that the market value threshold was met when required.
(b) A record of the disposition of the motor, body, and major component parts giving the name of the person purchasing the part(s), if any. Sales to scrap processors shall be accompanied by an invoice or bill of sale, listing each vehicle by its yard number. The wrecker shall retain a copy of such invoice or bill of sale for purposes of inspection for three years.
These records will be subject to inspection by authorized representatives of the department and law enforcement officials during regular business hours. The foregoing information shall be entered in the wrecker's records within two business days of the event requiring the entry, such as receipt of a vehicle.
(2) The vehicle wrecker must furnish written reports. By the tenth of the month following acquisition of vehicles entered into the wrecking yard inventory, each wrecker must submit a report on the form prescribed by the department documenting that those vehicles were acquired and entered into the wrecking yard inventory during the previous month. Vehicles being held in the segregated storage area awaiting ownership documents, pursuant to WAC 308-63-070(8), will not be reported. The report shall be made in duplicate. The original shall be sent to the department and the duplicate retained for the wrecker's files. If no vehicles were acquired during that month, the monthly report must be sent in stating "none." The report shall contain such information for vehicles only as the wrecker is required to keep by subsection (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), and (v) of this section. The report must be accompanied by properly endorsed certificates of title or other adequate evidence of ownership and registration certificates; provided that records on acquisitions and sales of vehicle parts need not be included in reports submitted to the department but records shall be kept for three years from date of purchase and made available for inspection.
(3) Identity of vehicles in yard. All vehicles placed in the wrecking yard shall be identified by a yard number as assigned in the wrecker's records with numerals marked so as to be clearly visible and legible. If a part of a vehicle is sold which has the number on it, the yard number of the vehicle shall be remarked in another location on the vehicle.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 46.55 RCW. 02-19-036, § 308-63-090, filed 9/10/02, effective 10/11/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-090, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-090, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
No vehicle wrecker may sell vehicles to a scrap processor or to a hulk hauler for transportation to a scrap processor without giving the scrap processor or the hulk hauler an invoice or bill of sale listing each vehicle by yard number. The vehicle wrecker shall retain a copy of such invoices for inspection purposes.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 01-03-141, § 308-63-100, filed 1/24/01, effective 2/24/01; 00-13-019, § 308-63-100, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-100, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
(2) "Inoperable" as used in this section shall mean a vehicle which does not comply with requirements for vehicles used on public streets with regard to brakes, lights, tires, safety glass and other safety equipment. However, for purposes of this section, inoperable shall not include a requirement to be currently licensed.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-110, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-110, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.80.140. 00-13-019, § 308-63-130, filed 6/12/00, effective 7/13/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.55.190, 46.79.080 and 46.80.140. 93-08-076, § 308-63-130, filed 4/6/93, effective 5/7/93.]