Purpose: To eliminate any confusion regarding the use of the term "school year."
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 415-112-541.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 41.50.050(5).
Other Authority: RCW 41.32.570.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 04-18-062 on August 27, 2004.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: January 4, 2005.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 02-18-046, filed 8/28/02, effective 9/30/02)
WAC 415-112-541 How will returning to work affect my TRS Plan 1 monthly pension? This section implements RCW 41.32.570, which limits employment for TRS Plan 1 retirees with public educational institutions to fifteen hundred hours regardless of the nature of service.
(1) You may return to any type of service with a public
education institution for up to fifteen hundred hours per
school)) fiscal year as defined in (( WAC 415-112-015)) RCW 41.32.010(12) without affecting your TRS Plan 1 monthly
pension under RCW 41.32.570, provided you have been retired
from service for one full calendar month (see WAC 415-112-520
and 415-112-525 for more information).
(a) Your employer must notify the department when you return to work. Your employer must report hours and compensation.
(b) If you are a TRS Plan 1 retiree and you work more than fifteen hundred hours during a fiscal year, the department will suspend your monthly pension. The pension is suspended until the first of the next fiscal year or termination of your employment, whichever comes first.
(c) The TRS Plan 1 limits will be applied to retirees from both TRS Plan 1 and a Plan 2 or 3 in another pension plan.
(d) The TRS Plan 1 limits will be applied to retirees from both TRS Plan 1 and PERS Plan 1.
(e) If you are a TRS Plan 1 retiree working for a public education institution as a bona fide independent contractor as determined under WAC 415-02-110, you are not considered an employee of the institution and are not subject to the work limitations.
(2) If the department suspends your benefit because of your reemployment, the department will reinstate the original amount of your pension, less deductions to recover any overpayment, effective the day following your termination of employment, or at the beginning of the next fiscal year, whichever comes first.
(3) You must repay any monthly pension payment that you receive in excess of the amounts allowed under this section.
(4) You may choose to return to membership if you are employed by a public education institution and are otherwise eligible. Membership will be prospective from the month in which you opt into membership.
(5) Defined terms used. Definitions for the following term used in this section may be found in the section listed.
Public educational institution: WAC 415-112-015.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050(5) and chapter 41.32 RCW. 02-18-046, § 415-112-541, filed 8/28/02, effective 9/30/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.50.050(5), 41.04.270, 41.26.030, 41.32.010, 41.32.025, 41.32.480, 41.32.500, 41.32.570, 41.32.765, 41.32.795, 41.32.802, 41.32.855, 41.32.860, 41.32.862, 41.35.010, 41.35.030, 41.35.060, 41.35.450, 41.35.640, 41.40.010, 41.40.023, 41.40.037, 41.40.150, 41.40.193, 41.40.680, 41.40.750, 41.40.801. 02-02-060, § 415-112-541, filed 12/28/01, effective 1/1/02.]