(Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors)
Purpose: Amending WAC 196-25-002 to provide additional definitions and clarify existing rule language and amending WAC 196-25-040 to clarify existing rule language.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 196-25-002 and 196-25-040.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 18.43.035.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 05-07-142 on March 23, 2005.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: April 28, 2005.
George A. Twiss
Board of Registration for Professional
Engineers and Land Surveyors
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 98-12-053, filed 5/29/98, effective 7/1/98)
WAC 196-25-002 Definitions. Board. The Washington state board of registration for professional engineers and land surveyors.
Professional engineer. A person registered by the board under chapter 18.43 RCW to practice engineering in this state.
Professional land surveyor. A person registered by the board under chapter 18.43 RCW to practice land surveying in this state.
Resident engineer or resident land surveyor. A currently registered professional engineer or land surveyor who maintains a business headquarters or branch office as his/her normal place of employment, and is in responsible charge of the engineering and/or land surveying services.
Business. A corporation, professional service corporation (PS), joint stock association (JSA) or limited liability company (LLC) or professional limited liability company (PLLC) that is practicing or offering to practice, engineering or land surveying or both in this state.
Designee, designated engineer, designated land surveyor. A currently registered professional engineer designated by the
business to be in responsible charge of engineering activities
for the business in ((
this state)) Washington, OR, a currently
registered professional land surveyor designated by the
business to be in responsible charge of land surveying
activities for the business in (( this state)) Washington.
Employee. A person in the service of another under any contract of hire, express or implied, oral or written, where the employer has the right to control and direct the employee in the material details of the scope, schedule and location of employment.
Branch office. One or more alternate locations in Washington of a business, not recognized as the business' main office or headquarters, which is established to offer and provide engineering and/or land surveying services from that location.
Project office. A temporary remote location of an engineering and/or land surveying business that is a convenient workplace for providing specific engineering and/or land surveying services only in support of a project.
Certificate of authorization. A certificate issued by the board, pursuant to chapter 18.43 RCW, to a business authorizing it to practice engineering or land surveying or both in this state. (Note: This is a different certificate than the certificate of authorization that may be filed with the secretary of state.)
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.43.035 and 18.43.130. 98-12-053, § 196-25-002, filed 5/29/98, effective 7/1/98.]
(2) An affidavit must be signed by the designee(s) stating that he or she knows they have been designated by the business as being responsible for the engineering and/or land surveying activities in the state of Washington.
(3) The designated engineer and/or designated land surveyor must be an employee of the business.
(4) No person may be the designated engineer or designated land surveyor at more than one business at any one time.
If)) When there is a change in the designee(s), the
business must notify the board in writing (( within)) no later
than thirty days (( of)) after the effective date of the change
and submit a new affidavit.
(6) If the business changes its name, the business must
submit a copy of its amended certificate of authority or
amended certificate of incorporation (for corporations) or a
copy of the certificate of amendment (for LLC's), as filed
with the secretary of state within thirty days of the
filing)) name change.
(7) At the time of renewal, the corporation or limited liability company must submit a copy of the document issued to their company by the state of Washington master license service which states that the corporation or limited liability company has been "renewed by the authority of the secretary of state" and shows a current expiration date.
(8) The filing of the resolution shall not relieve the business of any responsibility or liability imposed upon it by law or by contract. Any business that is certified under chapter 18.43 RCW and this chapter is subject to the authority of the board as provided in RCW 18.43.035, 18.43.105, 18.43.110, and 18.43.120.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.43.035. 99-15-057, § 196-25-040, filed 7/15/99, effective 8/15/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.43.035 and 18.43.130. 98-12-053, § 196-25-040, filed 5/29/98, effective 7/1/98.]