WSR 06-08-023


[ Filed March 27, 2006, 2:55 p.m. ]



The Washington attorney general issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the attorney general's office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the State Register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the attorney general's office of your interest by April 26, 2006. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the attorney general's office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the attorney general's office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the attorney general's opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The attorney general's office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

06-03-05 Request by Joseph Zarelli
State Senator, 18th District

1. May employees exercise their rights of nonassociation with a union under RCW 41.80.100(2) based on their strongly held private religious objection to union membership, even if their objections are not based on the teachings of a church or religious body?

2. Who makes the determination that employees qualify for the right of nonassociation under RCW 41.80.100(2), and what proof is necessary?

3. May employees who pay the union fees and dues required by RCW 41.80.100 by personal check or other method instead of through a payroll deduction be discharged for failing to use the payroll deduction method?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office