Effective Date of Rule: July 1, 2006.
Purpose: To implement legislative requirement that licensed land surveyors must complete continuing education credits starting July 2006.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending chapter 196-16 WAC.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 18.43.035.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 06-06-061 on February 28, 2006.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 13, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 13, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: April 27 [May 1], 2006.
George A. Twiss
Executive DirectorAMENDMENTS TO
CHAPTER 196-16 WAC
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
FOR PROFESSIONAL LAND SURVEYORS
WAC 196-16-100 Purpose and effective date. The purpose of the continuing professional development requirement is to encourage licensed professional land surveyors, under chapter 18.43 RCW, to maintain competency in their practice. On July 1, 2007 and thereafter, licensed land surveyors must meet the requirements of this chapter as a condition of continued licensure.
1. Professional Development Hour (PDH) - An hour engaged in a qualifying activity.
2. Continuing Education Unit (CEU) - Unit of credit customarily used for continuing education courses. One continuing education unit equals 10 Professional Development Hours.
3. College/Unit Semester/Unit Quarter – Completion of courses in college level curriculums satisfactory to the Board.
4. Qualifying activity – Any activity that is related to land surveying or will help the licensee maintain competency in their practice as a professional land surveyor.
5. Year – That 12-month period between the anniversaries of the licensee's birth date.
6. Board – The Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.
|1. College hours:|
|a. Completion of 1 College semester hour||45 PDH|
|b. Completion of 1 College quarter hour||30 PDH|
|2. 1 Continuing Education Unit||10 PDH|
|3. For publication or presentation of each:|
|a. Authored technical paper or article||10 PDH|
|b. Authored Book||30 PDH|
|4. Membership in professional/technical societies or government committees or boards. (Not to exceed 5 PDH/year)||2 1/2 PDH|
|5. For each hour of attendance at professional or technical society meetings with an informational program. (Not to exceed 5 PDH/year)||1 PDH|
|6. For each hour of attendance at meetings or hearings of the Board. (Not to exceed 7 1/2 PDH/year)||1 PDH|
|7. For each hour of preparation and subsequent presentation (*) of a professional development program at seminars, professional/technical meetings, conventions or conferences. (Not to exceed 10 PDH/year) (*) This credit does not apply to full-time faculty||1 PDH|
|8. For each hour of participation in committees of organizations whose purpose is to develop codes, standards, examinations and regulations.||1 PDH|
|9. For each hour of participation in an activity involving substantial and organized peer interaction, excluding time spent during regular employment. (Not to exceed 5 PDH/year)||1 PDH|
|10. For each hour of participation in organized courses, including employer provided courses, on first aid/safety, technical or management skills.||1 PDH|
|11. For each hour of participation in sessions, or courses sponsored by technical or professional societies, organizations or the Board.||1 PDH|
|12. Each hour of self-study. (Not to exceed 5 PDH/year)||1 PDH|
1. Taking courses, specialized instruction or meeting performance criteria that were conditions of a Board order.
2. Attendance or testimony at legislative hearings.
3. Attendance or testimony at city or county council meetings/hearings.
4. Attendance or testimony at civil or criminal trials.
5. Time spent fund raising for scholarships or other society purposes or lobbying for legislation.
6. Attendance at gatherings that are primarily social in nature.
7. Membership and/or attendance in service club meetings.
If an audit disqualifies credits that were reported to the Board by a licensee and results in the licensee failing to complete the PDH requirements, the Board may renew the license and require the shortage to be made up in the subsequent renewal period.
2. A licensed land surveyor who, through the course of an audit, is found to have falsified continuing professional development documentation to the Board is subject to disciplinary action by the Board.
The Board may grant waivers for:
a. Physical disability, prolonged illness, or other extenuating circumstances that pose a personal hardship.
b. Individuals who have been placed on active military duty for at least 120 days.