Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: This rule-making order clarifies language concerning the length of time between a previous crop of alfalfa and the establishment of a new seed field in relation to the dormancy rating that is assigned to each variety, thus making the requirement easier to comply with.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 16-302-225.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 15.49.310.
Other Authority: Chapter 34.05 RCW.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 06-06-149 [06-11-149] on May 23, 2006.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: July 19, 2006.
Robert W. Gore
for Valoria Loveland
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 00-24-077, filed 12/4/00, effective 1/4/01)
WAC 16-302-225 Land requirements for alfalfa seed certification. Land requirements for the production of alfalfa seed crop are as follows:
(1) Prior to stand establishment an alfalfa seed crop of
the same kind must not have been grown or planted on the land
for four years for the production of foundation or registered
class or one year for the production of certified class;
except two years ((
are required for the production of
certified class seed of varieties adapted to the northern and
central regions following varieties adapted to the southern
region)) must elapse between the destruction of dissimilar
varieties, which are varieties that differ by more than four
or more points on a dormancy rating scale as reported by the
National Alfalfa Variety Review board.
(2) Reseeding of an alfalfa seed field due to failure or partial failure of the first seeding may be done by referring to the guidelines in WAC 16-302-045(5).
(3) Ditchbanks, roadways, etc. adjacent to a certified alfalfa seed field must be free of volunteer alfalfa and prohibited noxious weeds.
(4) Volunteer alfalfa plants in the alfalfa seed field may be cause for rejection or reclassification of a seed field.
(5) No manure or other contaminating materials may be applied during the establishment and production period of the alfalfa seed stand.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 15.49.005, 15.49.081, 15.49.310, 15.49.370(3) and chapter 17.24 RCW. 00-24-077, § 16-302-225, filed 12/4/00, effective 1/4/01.]