Effective Date of Rule: January 1, 2008.
Purpose: Currently, no more than two separate games can be played with a single hand of cards. The petitioner requested that the limit on the number of games that can be played with a hand of cards be increased from two to three. The petitioner's request was approved at the July 13, 2007, commission meeting.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 230-40-010.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 9.46.070.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 07-11-083 on May 15, 2007, with a published date of June 6, 2007.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: July 16, 2007.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Order 424, filed 9/18/03, effective 1/1/04)
WAC 230-40-010 Social card games -- Rules of play -- Types of card games authorized. Social card games shall be played using rules and procedures as set forth in this section. Only card games that have been specifically authorized are allowed to be played in public or social card rooms.
Rules of play for all card games.
(1) Social card games shall be played in the following manner:
(a) The game must be played with one or more standard decks of playing cards or with approved electronic card facsimiles which meet the requirements of WAC 230-40-070 (1)(c): Provided, That cards may be removed to comply with rules of a specific game, such as pinochle;
(b) Players shall compete against all other players on an equal basis for nonhouse-banked games or against the licensee for house-banked games;
(c) Each player shall receive their own hand of cards and be responsible for decisions regarding such hand, such as whether to fold, discard, draw additional cards, or raise the wager;
(d) Players shall not place wagers on any other player's or the house's hand and no side bets between players are allowed: Provided, That the following shall not be in violation of this section:
(i) An insurance bet placed in the game of blackjack;
(ii) A tip wager made on behalf of a dealer; or
(iii) "Envy" provisions which allow a player to receive a prize if another player wins a jackpot or odds wager; and
(e) A player's win or loss shall be determined during the course of play of a single card game; and
(f) No more than ((
two)) three separate games shall be
played with a single hand of cards. For purposes of this
section, bonus features and progressive jackpots are
considered a game: Provided, That bonus features that allow a
player to receive an additional prize if another player
achieves a specific hand, such as "envy" or "share the wealth"
features, shall not be considered a separate game if the
player does not have to place a separate wager to participate.
Nonhouse-banked card games authorized.
(2) Nonhouse-banked card games shall only be played in the manner set forth in The New Complete Hoyle, Revised, Hoyle's Modern Encyclopedia of Card Games, or a similar authoritative book on card games approved by the director: Provided, That each licensee may make immaterial modifications to each authorized game set out in Hoyle. The following nonhouse-banked card games are authorized:
(f) Panguingue (Pan);
(h) Bid Whist;
(i) Other games or modifications to approved games may be approved by the director, or the director's designee, on a case-by-case basis. Requests for approval of a game must be submitted in writing, and include the rules of play and all wagering schemes.
House-banked card games authorized.
(3) House-banked card games shall be approved by the director, or the director's designee, on a case-by-case basis. Request for approval of a house-banked card game must be submitted in writing, including the rules of play and all wagering schemes. A list of all approved games, modifications to games, and rules of play shall be available at all commission offices. The director may approve games in which the determination of whether a player wins or loses depends upon one or more of the following:
(a) The player's hand is a specific:
(i) Pattern or ranking of cards (pair, straight, flush, royal flush, etc.);
(ii) Combination of cards (two queens of hearts, ace and jack of spades, three sevens, etc.); or
(iii) Value of the cards (seventeen, twenty-one, etc.); and/or
(b) The player has a higher ranking or value hand than the house/dealer/banker.
Removing an approved game from play.
(4) Once a game is approved for play, the director shall not remove it from the authorized list of games without providing licensees written notice. Licensees shall be afforded an opportunity to object to the director's decision. If an objection is filed, an administrative law judge shall review the director's decision utilizing the brief adjudicative procedures set forth in WAC 230-50-010.
Procedures for when a proposed game is denied.
(5) The licensee shall be notified in writing when the director denies a request for a new game or modification of a game. The notification shall include reasons for the denial and provide the petitioner all information necessary for a formal petition to the commission for rule making, amendments, or repeal, as set forth in WAC 230-50-800.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070. 03-20-009 (Order 424), § 230-40-010, filed 9/18/03, effective 1/1/04; 01-15-054 (Order 405), § 230-40-010, filed 7/13/01, effective 1/1/02; 00-09-052 (Order 383), § 230-40-010, filed 4/14/00, effective 5/15/00; 99-13-103 (Order 373), § 230-40-010, filed 6/15/99, effective 8/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.0281, 9.46.070 (1), (2), (14) and (20). 96-11-073, § 230-40-010, filed 5/13/96, effective 7/1/96. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070. 94-13-098 (Order 252), § 230-40-010, filed 6/15/94, effective 7/16/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 34.05.220(4), [34.05].230 and 9.46.070 (11) and (14). 90-05-032 (Order 205), § 230-40-010, filed 2/14/90, effective 3/17/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070. 88-19-038 (Order 183), § 230-40-010, filed 9/13/88. Statutory Authority: Chapter 9.46 RCW. 86-19-056 (Order 161), § 230-40-010, filed 9/15/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070(11). 82-23-050 (Order 125), § 230-40-010, filed 11/15/82. Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070(10) (see RCW 9.46.020(20)). 80-09-067 (Order 103), § 230-40-010, filed 7/17/80; Order 78, § 230-40-010, filed 11/17/77; Order 67, § 230-40-010, filed 3/11/77; Order 40, § 230-40-010, filed 6/26/75; Order 23, § 230-40-010, filed 9/23/74.]