Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: The purpose of these changes is to comply with passed legislation in SB 5269.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 181-79A-140.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.210.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 08-04-091 on February 5, 2008.
A final cost-benefit analysis is available by contacting Nasue Nishida, P.O. Box 47236, Olympia, WA 98504, phone (360) 725-6238, fax (360) 586-4548, e-mail email@example.com.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: March 19, 2008.
Policy and Research Analyst
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 07-04-003, filed 1/24/07, effective 2/24/07)
WAC 181-79A-140 Types of certificates. Six types of certificates shall be issued:
(1) Teacher. The teacher certificate, including teacher exchange permits as provided in WAC 181-79A-220, authorizes service as a classroom teacher.
(2) Career and technical. The career and technical education certificate authorizes service in career and technical education programs in accordance with the provisions of chapter 181-77 WAC.
(3) First people's language/culture. The first
people's)) peoples' language(( /)), culture, and oral tribal
traditions teacher certificate authorizes service as defined
under WAC 181-78A-700(8).
(a) The administrator certificate for principal authorizes services as a building administrator or assistant principal.
(b) The administrator certificates for superintendent or program administrator will be issued to persons who meet professional educator standards board certification standards for service in the roles of superintendent or program administrator.
(5) Educational staff associate. The educational staff associate certificate authorizes service in the roles of school speech pathologists or audiologists, school counselors, school nurses, school occupational therapists, school physical therapists, school psychologists, and school social workers: Provided, That nothing within chapter 181-79A WAC authorizes professional practice by an educational staff associate which is otherwise prohibited or restricted by any other law, including licensure statutes and rules and regulations promulgated by the appropriate licensure board or agency.
(6) Limited certificates. The following limited certificates are issued to individuals under specific circumstances set forth in WAC 181-79A-231:
(a) Conditional certificate.
(b) Substitute certificate.
(c) Emergency certificate.
(d) Emergency substitute certificate.
(e) Nonimmigrant alien exchange teacher.
(f) Intern substitute teacher certificate.
(g) Transitional certificate.
(h) Provisional alternative administrative certificate.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.210. 07-04-003, § 181-79A-140, filed 1/24/07, effective 2/24/07; 06-14-010, § 181-79A-140, filed 6/22/06, effective 7/23/06. 06-02-051, recodified as § 181-79A-140, filed 12/29/05, effective 1/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 and 28A.410.010. 04-20-092, § 180-79A-140, filed 10/5/04, effective 11/5/04; 02-18-037, § 180-79A-140, filed 8/26/02, effective 9/26/02; 02-13-027, § 180-79A-140, filed 6/12/02, effective 7/13/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-018, § 180-79A-140, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 00-13-063, § 180-79A-140, filed 6/16/00, effective 7/17/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130 (1) and (2). 99-23-023, § 180-79A-140, filed 11/9/99, effective 12/10/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) and (2), 28A.410.010 and 28A.150.220(4). 99-01-174, § 180-79A-140, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 97-04-088, § 180-79A-140, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97.]