Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 392-121-108(5), definition - enrollment exclusions.
THIS RULE IS BEING PROPOSED UNDER AN EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS THAT WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR THE AGENCY TO HOLD PUBLIC HEARINGS, PREPARE A SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMIC IMPACT STATEMENT, OR PROVIDE RESPONSES TO THE CRITERIA FOR A SIGNIFICANT LEGISLATIVE RULE. IF YOU OBJECT TO THIS USE OF THE EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS, YOU MUST EXPRESS YOUR OBJECTIONS IN WRITING AND THEY MUST BE SENT TO Rules Coordinator/Legal Services, Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Old State Capitol, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504-7200 , AND RECEIVED BY May 24, 2010.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: Change the two WAC references in WAC 392-121-108(5) from WAC 392-400-290 to 392-400-295.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: The WAC should refer to emergency expulsion not to emergency removal from class, subject or activity as an enrollment exclusion.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.150.290.
Statute Being Implemented: RCW 28A.150.290.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Superintendent of public instruction, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Becky McLean, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, (360) 725-6306; Implementation: Calvin W. Brodie, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, (360) 725-6301; and Enforcement: Jennifer Priddy, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, (360) 725-6292.
March 10, 2010
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 09-01-044, filed 12/10/08, effective 1/10/09)
WAC 392-121-108 Definition -- Enrollment exclusions. A person who qualifies for any of the exclusions set forth in this section shall not be counted as an enrolled student pursuant to WAC 392-121-106.
(1) Absences - except as provided in (a) and (b) of this subsection, a student whose consecutive days of absence from school exceed twenty school days, or a part-time student that has not attended school at least once within a time period consisting of twenty consecutive school days, shall not be counted as an enrolled student until attendance is resumed. School days are defined as the regularly scheduled instructional days for the general population of the school or district the student is enrolled in, regardless of the student's individualized schedule.
(a) If there is a written agreement between the appropriate school official and a student's parent or guardian pursuant to RCW 28A.225.010 that the student's temporary absence is not deemed to cause a serious adverse effect upon the student's educational progress, the absent student may be counted as an enrolled student for up to two monthly enrollment count dates as specified in WAC 392-121-122.
(b) A student receiving home and/or hospital service pursuant to WAC 392-172A-02100 shall be counted as an enrolled student as provided in WAC 392-122-145.
(2) Dropouts - a student for whom the school district has received notification of dropping out of school by the student or the student's parent or guardian shall not be counted as an enrolled student until attendance is resumed.
(3) Transfers - a student who has transferred to another public or private school and for whom the school district has received notification of transfer from the school to which the student has transferred, from the student, or from the student's parent or guardian shall not be counted as an enrolled student unless the student reenrolls in the school district.
(4) Suspensions - a student who has been suspended from school pursuant to WAC 392-400-260, when the conditions of the suspension will cause the student to lose academic grades or credit, shall not be counted as an enrolled student until attendance is resumed.
(5) Expulsions - a student who has been expelled from all
school subjects or classes by the school district pursuant to
WAC 392-400-275 or ((
392-400-290)) 392-400-295 shall not be
counted as an enrolled student; a student who has been
partially expelled, such as from a single school subject or
class, by the school district pursuant to WAC 392-400-275 or
(( 392-400-290)) 392-400-295 may be considered a part-time
(6) Graduates - a student who has met the high school graduation requirements of chapter 180-51 WAC by the beginning of the school year.
(7) Tuition - a student paying tuition including, but not limited to, students on an F-1 visa or students enrolled in a tuition-based summer school program.
(8) An institution student who is claimed as a 1.0 FTE by any institution as an enrolled student eligible for state institutional education support pursuant to chapter 392-122 WAC where the institution's count date occurs prior to the school district count date for the month. Where the count dates occur on the same date, the institution shall have priority for counting the student.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.150.290. 09-01-044, § 392-121-108, filed 12/10/08, effective 1/10/09; 07-23-008, § 392-121-108, filed 11/8/07, effective 12/9/07; 05-19-140, § 392-121-108, filed 9/21/05, effective 10/22/05; 97-22-013 (Order 97-06), § 392-121-108, filed 10/27/97, effective 11/27/97; 95-01-013, § 392-121-108, filed 12/8/94, effective 1/8/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.150.290, 28A.150.250 and 28A.150.260. 91-02-096 (Order 50), § 392-121-108, filed 1/2/91, effective 2/2/91. Statutory Authority: 1990 c 33. 90-16-002 (Order 18), § 392-121-108, filed 7/19/90, effective 8/19/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.41.055 and 28A.41.170. 88-03-013 (Order 88-8), § 392-121-108, filed 1/11/88.]