Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: To follow the directive of the legislature and the people to ensure registered domestic partners are extended the same rights as spouses.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 137-12A-020.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 72.01.090.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 10-05-040 on February 10, 2010.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: March 23, 2010.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 91-10-018, filed 4/23/91, effective 5/24/91)
WAC 137-12A-020 Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following items shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Secretary" shall mean the secretary of the department of corrections.
(2) "Department" shall mean the department of corrections.
(3) "Inmate" shall mean an individual sentenced to the custody of the department under state law and an individual transferred from another state or the federal government.
(4) "Institution" shall mean a facility described in RCW 72.01.050(2), such other similar facility hereafter established and a community residence operated pursuant to chapter 72.65 RCW.
(5) "Political subdivision" shall mean any city, town, county or other unit of local government.
(6) "Additional correctional facility" shall mean (a) a new building constructed at a new location for use in housing or servicing inmates; (b) a new building constructed on the grounds of an existing institution for use in housing or servicing inmates; and/or (c) a preexisting building heretofore not used by the department as a correctional facility which is reopened for use in housing or servicing inmates.
(7) "One-time cost impact" shall mean an economic impact experienced by a political subdivision associated with locating an additional correctional facility within its boundaries or associated with such other event specifically designated by the legislature.
(8) "Inmate family" shall mean the inmate's dependent children, the inmate's spouse or state registered domestic partner or parent and their dependents, or the legal guardian of the inmate's dependent children who were not residents of the local county where the inmate is incarcerated prior to the incarceration of the inmate.
(9) All references to the singular shall include the plural unless noted otherwise.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 72.01.090. 91-10-018, § 137-12A-020, filed 4/23/91, effective 5/24/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 72.01.090 and 1984 c 246 § 2. 84-14-077 (Order 84-10), § 137-12A-020, filed 7/2/84. Statutory Authority: RCW 72.02.040 and 72.72.040. 84-06-009 (Order 84-03), § 137-12A-020, filed 2/27/84.]