Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: To change the number of days continuing education may be deferred for licensees or certificate holders returning from military service and to repeal rule allowing applicants qualifying education credit for teaching.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Repealing WAC 308-125-065 Education credit for teachers of approved real estate appraisal courses; and amending WAC 308-125-090 Continuing education required.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 18.140.030 (1), (7), (8), and (15).
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 10-06-087 on March 1, 2010.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 1; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: April 13, 2010
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 07-23-079, filed 11/19/07, effective 1/1/08)
WAC 308-125-090 Continuing education required. (1) As a prerequisite to renewal of certification or licensure, the holder of a certificate or license shall present evidence satisfactory to the director of successful completion of the continuing education requirements of this section.
(2) The continuing education requirements for renewal of certification or licensure shall be the completion by the applicant of twenty-eight hours of instruction in courses or seminars which have received the approval of the director. Courses must be completed within the term of certification or licensure immediately preceding renewal. An applicant shall not receive credit in consecutive renewals for courses that have the same or very similar content and are deemed comparable by the department. The holder of a certificate or license will present evidence of successful completion of the seven-hour National USPAP update course or its equivalent.
(3) In order for courses or seminars to be accepted under subsection (2) of this section, the course or seminar must be a minimum of two hours in length and be directly related to real estate appraising. However, a maximum of one-half of the continuing education hours required for renewal can be in two-hour seminars or courses.
(4) An examination is not required for courses or seminars taken for continuing education classroom hours.
(5) Up to one-half of the requirement under subsection
(2) of this section may be met by participation other than as
a student in educational process and programs approved by the
director including teaching, program development, and
authorship of textbooks and other written instructional
Credit for instructing any given course or
seminar can only be awarded once)) A licensee or certificate
holder may receive continuing education credit for teaching an
approved real estate appraisal course. Once a licensee or
certificate holder has received credit for teaching an
approved real estate appraiser course, the credential holder
shall not receive credit for teaching that course or any
substantially similar course on any subsequent occasion, with
the exception of the Uniform Standards of Professional
Appraisal Practice, USPAP, 7-hour update.
(6) Courses or seminars taken to satisfy the continuing education requirement for real estate appraisers, should include coverage of real estate appraisal related topics, such as:
(a) Ad valorem taxation.
(b) Arbitrations, dispute resolution.
(c) Business courses related to practice of real estate appraisal and consulting.
(d) Construction estimating.
(e) Ethics and standards of professional practice, USPAP.
(f) Land use planning, zoning, and taxation.
(g) Management, leasing, brokerage, timesharing.
(h) Property development, partial interests.
(i) Real estate appraisal (valuations/evaluations).
(j) Real estate financing and investment.
(k) Real estate law, easements and legal interests.
(l) Real estate litigation, damages and condemnation.
(m) Real estate related computer applications.
(n) Real estate securities and syndication.
(o) Real property exchange.
(p) Appraisal and consulting report writing.
(q) Such other presentations approved by the director.
(7) The director may approve continuing education credit for attendance at one real estate appraiser commission meeting of no more than seven hours.
(8) The director may defer completion of continuing
education for licensees or certificate holders returning from
military service active duty and place the license or
certificate in an active status for a period of ((
eighty)) ninety days pending completion of education. If the
licensee or certificate holder fails to comply with the
continuing education requirement within said (( one hundred
eighty)) ninety days, the license or certificate will revert
to an expired status.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.140.030 (1), (7), (8), and (15). 07-23-079, § 308-125-090, filed 11/19/07, effective 1/1/08; 06-06-069, § 308-125-090, filed 2/28/06, effective 4/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.140.030(8). 03-14-091, § 308-125-090, filed 6/30/03, effective 7/31/03; 99-11-039, § 308-125-090, filed 5/14/99, effective 6/14/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.140.030(1). 97-02-004, § 308-125-090, filed 12/20/96, effective 1/20/97; 93-17-020, § 308-125-090, filed 8/10/93, effective 9/10/93. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.140.030. 91-04-074, § 308-125-090, filed 2/5/91, effective 3/8/91.]
The following section of the Washington Administrative Code is repealed:
|WAC 308-125-065||Education credit for teachers of approved real estate appraisal courses.|