Reviser's note: The following material has not been adopted under the Administrative Procedure Act, chapter 34.05 RCW, but has been filed in the office of the code reviser and is published in the Register exactly as filed. Following are amendments to WAC 137-48-060 Inmate mail and communications. This amendment was submitted for publication in the Washington State Register and the Washington Administrative Code. Pertinent information follows:
1. The amendments to chapter 137-48 WAC, Inmate mail and communications are adopted as of May 11, 2010.
2. The effective date of these amendments shall be May 17, 2010.
3. I certify pursuant to RCW 34.05.030 that the rule as stated above is excluded from the Administrative Procedure Act.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 05-13-004, filed 6/2/05, effective 7/2/05)
WAC 137-48-060 Mail costs. (1) Except as otherwise stated in this section, mail costs shall be the responsibility of the inmate.
(2) Mail which arrives at the institution with postage due may, at the option of the superintendent, be delivered to the inmate. The institution may pay the postage due in accordance with subsection (3) of this section, or hold the mail for a reasonable period of time so as to allow the inmate to arrange for payment of the postage due. If such arrangements are not made within the time provided, the package/mail may be donated to charity or discarded.
(3) Indigent inmates shall be authorized to receive
postage up to the equivalent to the mailing cost of ((
five standard first class letters per week. This indigent
postage provision shall cover both legal and/or regular
(4) The department shall recoup any expenditures made by the institution for postage due on incoming mail and/or indigent postage for letters, (as identified in subsection (3) of this section) may be recouped by the institution whenever such indigent inmate has ten dollars or more of disposable income in his/her trust fund account.
[05-13-004, § 137-48-060, filed 6/2/05, effective 7/2/05. 91-23-103, § 137-48-060, filed 11/20/91, effective 1/1/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 72.09.050, 72.08.103, 72.13.080 and 72.15.040. 84-08-011 (Order 84-04), § 137-48-060, filed 3/26/84. Statutory Authority: RCW 72.08.380, 72.09.050 and 72.12.140. 83-20-036 (Order 83-09), § 137-48-060, filed 9/27/83. Formerly WAC 275-96-060.]