PREPROPOSAL STATEMENT OF INQUIRY
Subject of Possible Rule Making: Chapter 170-290 WAC, Working connections child care (WCCC) and seasonal child care (SCC) programs.
Statutes Authorizing the Agency to Adopt Rules on this Subject: RCW 43.215.060, 43.215.070 (2)(c) and section 501, chapter 265, Laws of 2006 (uncodified).
Reasons Why Rules on this Subject may be Needed and What They Might Accomplish:
1. The state anticipates a shortfall in the current WorkFirst budget, of which WCCC is a component part. In order to meet these challenges, and pursuant to the department of early learning (DEL) director's authority in RCW 43.215.040 to "institute therein the flexible, alert, and intelligent management of its business that changing contemporary circumstances require," DEL intends to make changes to chapter 170-290 WAC, for the WCCC and SCC programs as may be necessary to:
• Improve program efficiencies and effectiveness;
• Increase accountability as lead agency for the receipt of CCDF funds;
• Reduce program costs;
• Address insufficient program funding and economic conditions;
• Prevent the program from becoming overburdened or oversubscribed; and
• Impose cost containment measures.
2. DEL intends to make further changes to chapter 170-290 WAC to implement E2SHB 3141 (chapter 273, Laws of 2010, regular session) by:
• Promoting stability, quality, and continuity of care for children and families; and
• Clarifying changes in circumstances that must be
reported in redetermining program eligibility.
Other Federal and State Agencies that Regulate this Subject and the Process Coordinating the Rule with These Agencies: DEL plans to coordinate adoption of the rule with the department of social and health services (DSHS) and with the federal Department of Health and Human Services as appropriate. Under chapter 265, Laws of 2006, DEL and DSHS jointly operate the WCCC program. DEL determines WCCC policy and adopts the program rules. DSHS implements the WCCC program, including accepting applications, determining family eligibility, and processing payments to child care providers.
Process for Developing New Rule: To the extent possible, DEL intends to circulate draft rules for informal input before filing a formal proposal. When the formal proposal is filed, DEL will hold a public hearing or hearings, and take written comments before adopting the permanent rules. More than one proposed rule may be filed pursuant to this preproposal notice.
Interested parties can participate in the decision to adopt the new rule and formulation of the proposed rule before publication. Persons interested in joining an e-mail or postal mailing list to receive notices and other information about this rule making should contact the DEL by e-mail at Rules@del.wa.gov, by phone at (360) 725-4397, or by writing to the DEL Rules Coordinator, Department of Early Learning, P.O. Box 40970, Olympia, WA 98504-0970. Information about this rule will be posted at the DEL web site at http://www.del.wa.gov/laws/development/.
July 20, 2010