WSR 12-22-073



(Economic Services Administration)

[ Filed November 7, 2012, 9:01 a.m. ]

Original Notice.

Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 12-08-063.

Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: The community services division is proposing to amend WAC 388-466-0120 Refugee cash assistance (RCA).

Hearing Location(s): Office Building 2, Lookout Room, DSHS Headquarters, 1115 Washington, Olympia, WA 98504 (public parking at 11th and Jefferson. A map is available at or by calling (360) 664-6094), on December 11, 2012, at 10:00 a.m.

Date of Intended Adoption: Not earlier than December 12, 2012.

Submit Written Comments to: DSHS Rules Coordinator, P.O. Box 45850, Olympia, WA 98504-5850, delivery 1115 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504, e-mail, fax (360) 664-6185, by 5 p.m. on December 11, 2012.

Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Jennisha Johnson, DSHS rules consultant, by November 22, 2012, TTY (360) 664-6178 or (360) 664-6094 or by e-mail at

Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The department is proposing to amend WAC 388-466-0120 to repeal refugee medical assistance (RMA) language from the RCA rule. The responsibility for RMA was transferred to the health care authority and rules were recodified under TITLE 182 WAC.

Reasons Supporting Proposal: The proposed amendments are necessary to conform to 2E2SHB 1738, Laws of 2011, which designates the health care authority as the single state agency responsible for the administration and supervision of Washington's medicaid program.

Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090.

Statute Being Implemented: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090.

Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.

Name of Proponent: Department of social and health services, governmental.

Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Kerry Judge-Kemp, 712 Pear Street S.E., Olympia, 98501, (360) 725-4630.

No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. These proposed changes do not have an economic impact on small business.

A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328. These amendments are exempt as allowed under RCW 34.05.328(5):

(b)(ii) Rules relating only to internal governmental operations that are not subject to violation by a nongovernmental party;

(b)(vii): "[t]his section does not apply to rules of the department of social and health services relating only to client medical or financial eligibility and rules concerning liability for care of dependents."

November 1, 2012

Katherine I. Vasquez

Rules Coordinator

AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 12-19-037, filed 9/12/12, effective 10/13/12)

WAC 388-466-0120   Refugee cash assistance (RCA).   (1) Who can apply for refugee cash assistance (RCA)?

Anyone can apply to the department of social and health services (DSHS) for refugee cash assistance and have their eligibility determined within thirty days.

(2) How do I know if I qualify for RCA?

You may be eligible for RCA if you meet all of the following conditions:

(a) You have resided in the United States for less than eight months;

(b) You meet the immigration status requirements of WAC 388-466-0005;

(c) You meet the income and resource requirements under chapters 388-450 and 388-470 WAC;

(d) You meet the work and training requirements of WAC 388-466-0150; and

(e) You provide the name of the voluntary agency (VOLAG) which helped bring you to this country.

(3) What are the other reasons for not being eligible for RCA?

You may not be able to get RCA if you:

(a) Are eligible for temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) or supplemental security income (SSI); or

(b) Have been denied TANF due to your refusal to meet TANF eligibility requirements; or

(c) Are employable and have voluntarily quit or refused to accept a bona fide offer of employment within thirty consecutive days immediately prior to your application for RCA; or

(d) Are a full-time student in a college or university.

(4) If I am an asylee, what date will be used as an entry date?

If you are an asylee, your entry date will be the date that your asylum status is granted. For example: You entered the United States on December 1, 1999 as a tourist, then applied for asylum on April 1, 2000, interviewed with the asylum office on July 1, 2000 and were granted asylum on September 1, 2000. Your entry date is September 1, 2000. On September 1, 2000, you may be eligible for refugee cash assistance.

(5) If I am a victim of human trafficking, what kind of documentation do I need to provide to be eligible for RCA?

You are eligible for RCA to the same extent as a refugee if you are:

(a) An adult victim, eighteen years of age or older, you provide the original certification letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and you meet eligibility requirements in subsections (2)(c) and (d) of this section. You do not have to provide any other documentation of your immigration status. Your entry date will be the date on your certification letter;

(b) A child victim under the age of eighteen, in which case you do not need to be certified. DHHS issues a special letter for children. Children also have to meet income eligibility requirement;

(c) A family member of a certified victim of human trafficking, you have a T-2, T-3, T-4, or T-5 Visa (Derivative T-Visas), and you meet the eligibility requirements in subsections (2)(c) and (d) of this section.

(6) Does getting a onetime cash grant from a voluntary agency (VOLAG) affect my eligibility for RCA?

No. In determining your eligibility for RCA DSHS does not count a onetime resettlement cash grant provided to you by your VOLAG.

(7) What is the effective date of my eligibility for RCA?

The date DSHS has sufficient information to make eligibility decision is the date your RCA begins.

(8) When does my RCA end?

(a) Your RCA ends on the last day of the eighth month starting with the month of your arrival to the United States. Count the eight months from the first day of the month of your entry into the United States. For example, if you entered the United States on May 28, 2000, May is your first month and December 2000 is your last month of RCA.

(b) If you get a job, your income will affect your RCA based on the TANF rules (chapter 388-450 WAC). If you earn more than is allowed by WAC 388-478-0035, you are no longer eligible for RCA. ((Your medical coverage may continue for up to eight months from your month of arrival in the United States (WAC 388-466-0130).))

(9) Are there other reasons why RCA may end?

Your RCA also ends if:

(a) You move out of Washington state;

(b) Your unearned income and/or resources go over the maximum limit (WAC 388-466-0140); or

(c) You, without good cause, refuse to meet refugee employment and training requirements (WAC 388-466-0150).

(10) Will my spouse be eligible for RCA, if he/she arrives in the U.S. after me?

When your spouse arrives in the United States, DSHS determines his/her eligibility for RCA and/or other income assistance programs.

(a) Your spouse may be eligible for up to eight months of RCA based on his/her date of arrival into the United States.

(b) If you live together, you and your spouse are part of the same assistance unit and your spouse's eligibility for RCA is determined based on you and your spouse's combined income and resources (WAC 388-466-0140).

(11) Can I get additional money in an emergency?

If you have an emergency and need a cash payment to get or keep your housing or utilities, you may apply for the DSHS program called additional requirements for emergent needs (AREN). To receive AREN, you must meet the requirements in WAC 388-436-0002.

(12) What can I do if I disagree with a decision or action that has been taken by DSHS on my case?

If you disagree with a decision or action taken on your case by the department, you have the right to request a review of your case or an administrative hearing (WAC 388-02-0090). Your request must be made within ninety days of the date of the decision or action.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.250, and 2011 1st sp.s. c 15. 12-19-037, 388-466-0120, filed 9/12/12, effective 10/13/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.320, Pub. L. No. 110-181, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008, Pub. L. No. 111-08, the Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009, Division F, Title VI, Section 602; Office of Refugee Resettlement State Letter 09-17 from April 9, 2009; and federal guidance issued on May 15, 2009, by the Food and Nutrition Service, United States Department of Agriculture. 09-21-046, 388-466-0120, filed 10/14/09, effective 11/4/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08A.320, 74.08.090, and Public Law 110-161 Section 525; Public Law 110-181 Section 1244; FNS Admin Notice 08-17; State Letter 04-12 from the Office of Refugee Resettlement. 08-14-116, 388-466-0120, filed 6/30/08, effective 8/1/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090, 74.08A.320. 02-04-057, 388-466-0120, filed 1/30/02, effective 2/1/02.]