[Filed December 4, 2018, 2:21 p.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 18-17-122.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: Amends WAC 179-15-030 describing requirements for the subject matter special education certificate for paraeducators.
Hearing Location(s): On January 10, 2019, at 8:30, at ESD 113, 6005 Tyee Drive S.W., Tumwater, WA 98512.
Date of Intended Adoption: January 10, 2019.
Submit Written Comments to: David Brenna, 600 Washington Street, Olympia, WA 98504, email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 360-586-4548, by January 3, 2019.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact David Brenna, phone 360-725-6238, fax 360-586-4548, email email@example.com, by January 3, 2019.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: Amended explicate requirements for the special education subject matter certificate for paraeducators as required in HB [ESHB] 1115 (2017).
Reasons Supporting Proposal: Statutory requirement.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.413
Statute Being Implemented: Chapter 28A.413
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: State legislature, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation, and Enforcement: David Brenna, 600 Washington Street, Olympia, WA 98504, 360-725-6238.
A school district fiscal impact statement is not required under RCW 28A.305.135
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328
. Regulatory change does not have a fiscal impact.
This rule proposal, or portions of the proposal, is exempt from requirements of the Regulatory Fairness Act because the proposal:
Is exempt under RCW 19.85.025
(3) as the rule content is explicitly and specifically dictated by statute.
December 4, 2018
Senior Policy Analyst
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 18-17-011, filed 8/2/18, effective 9/2/18)
(1) To attain the paraeducator special education subject matter certificate, the paraeducator must complete twenty continuing education credit hours of training that meet the learning objectives of the course outline as described in WAC 179-15-060;
(2) Training for the certificate must include the training competencies that align with WAC 179-15-050; ((and))
(3) A professional growth plan may not be completed to attain the special education subject matter certificate; and
(4) The paraeducator shall be responsible for completing filing requirements with the superintendent of public instruction, in accordance with WAC 179-01-020, the completion of the special education subject matter certificate.