[Filed February 12, 2019, 3:20 p.m., effective March 15, 2019]
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: Amends WAC 179-05-020 and adds new sections for WAC 179-05-030 and 179-05-040 describing methods to attain paraeducator certificate.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: New WAC 179-05-030 and 179-05-040; and amending WAC 179-05-020.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.413
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 18-24-105 on December 4, 2018.
A final cost-benefit analysis is available by contacting David Brenna, 600 Washington Street, Olympia, WA 98504, phone 360-725-6238, fax 360-586-4548, email email@example.com, web site www.pesb.wa.gov.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 2, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 2, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 2, Amended 1, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: January 10, 2019.
Senior Policy Analyst
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 18-16-104, filed 7/31/18, effective 8/31/18)
(1) "Continuing education credit hours" as used in this title is defined in WAC 181-85-030.
(2) "Professional growth plan" as used in this title is defined as:
(a) Paraeducator individualized professional growth plan means the document which identifies the formalized learning opportunities and professional development activities that relate to the specific competencies, knowledge, skills and experiences needed to meet the standards of a specific paraeducator certificate.
(b) Only one professional growth plan may be completed each year. Professional growth plans will be completed during the period beginning July 1st of one year and ending June 30th of the following year. Completion of the professional growth plan will include review by the professional growth team, as defined in subsection (3) of this section.
(c) Paraeducators who complete an annual professional growth plan to attain or renew their certificate shall receive the equivalent of twenty-five continuing education credit hours.
(3) "Professional growth team" as used in this title is defined as a team comprised of the individual completing a professional growth plan for renewing or attaining a certificate and a minimum of one colleague, who holds a paraeducator certificate or a Washington state educator certificate as described in Title 181 WAC, chosen by the individual.
(4) "Certificate renewal" means that process whereby the validity of a certificate, subject to expiration, is extended.
WAC 179-05-030Paraeducator certificate renewal.
(1) Individuals who hold paraeducator certificates have the following options for renewal:
(a) For the subject matter certificates described in chapters 179-13 and 179-15 WAC, candidates must complete twenty continuing education credit hours during the validity period of the certificate.
(b) For the advanced paraeducator certificate described in chapter 179-17 WAC, candidates must complete thirty continuing education credit hours during the validity period of the certificate.
(2) Application for renewal shall not be submitted earlier than twelve months prior to the expiration date of the current renewal.
(3) Expired certificates may be renewed with completion of required continuing education credit hours as stated in subsection (1) of this section within the previous five years from the date of the renewal application.
(4) An expired certificate may be renewed for an additional five-year period by presenting evidence to the superintendent of public instruction of completing the continuing education credit hour requirement within the five years prior to the date of the renewal application.
(5) Individuals who hold a certificate as described in Title 181 WAC may renew a paraeducator certificate, with the exception of:
(a) Undated residency certificates; and
(b) Limited certificates as described in WAC 181-77-014 and 181-79A-231.
(6) For educators holding multiple certificates in this title, continuing education credit hours completed to renew one certificate may be used towards meeting the renewal requirements for all paraeducator certificates held by an individual.
WAC 179-05-040Requirements for attaining a paraeducator certificate for a holder of a valid educational certificate pursuant to WAC 181-79A-140.
(1) Requirements for an individual holding a valid educational certificate pursuant to WAC 181-79A-140:
(a) The purpose of this section is to clarify the requirements for individuals holding a valid educational certificate pursuant to WAC 181-79A-140, with the exception of: Educators who only hold limited certificates, as described in chapter 181-77 WAC and WAC 181-79A-231, must meet the requirements of the paraeducator certificate program as outlined in this title.
(b) Educators who do not hold a valid educational certificate pursuant to WAC 181-79A-140 must meet the requirements of the paraeducator certificate program as described in this title.
(2) Individuals must meet the paraeducator minimum employment requirements, as defined in chapter 179-03 WAC.
(3) Individuals must complete the fundamental course of study, as described in chapter 179-09 WAC.
(4) Individuals who hold a valid educational certificate pursuant to WAC 181-79A-140 and have completed the fundamental course of study, as described in chapter 179-09 WAC, are considered to have met the requirement for seventy continuing education credit hours for the general paraeducator certificate as described in chapter 179-11 WAC.
Individuals shall be responsible for completing filing requirements with the superintendent of public instruction, in accordance with WAC 179-01-020.
(5) Individuals who hold one of the following endorsements, as described in WAC 181-82A-202, meet the requirements to attain the subject matter certificates as described in chapters 179-13 and 179-15 WAC:
(a) English language learner and/or bilingual, meet the requirements to attain the English language learner subject matter certificate as described in chapter 179-13 WAC;
(b) Special education and/or early childhood special education, meet the requirements to attain the special education subject matter certificate as described in chapter 179-15 WAC;
(c) Individuals shall be responsible for completing filing requirements with the superintendent of public instruction, in accordance with WAC 179-01-020, the attainment of the subject matter certificate.