[Filed February 15, 2019, 12:39 p.m., effective March 29, 2019]
Effective Date of Rule: March 29, 2019.
Purpose: The purpose is to amend WAC 357-31-395 to expand the definition of employee's relative to include sibling for the purposes of shared leave.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 357-31-395.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 41.04
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 19-02-025 on December 21, 2018.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: February 15, 2019.
Assistant Director of
Legal and Legislative Affairs
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 18-17-130, filed 8/20/18, effective 9/21/18)
WAC 357-31-395What definitions apply to shared leave?
(1) As defined in RCW 41.04.655
, "employee" means any employee of the state, including employees of school districts and educational service districts, who are entitled to accrue sick leave or vacation leave and for whom accurate leave records are maintained.
(2) "Employee's relative" normally must be limited to the employee's spouse, registered domestic partner, child, grandchild, sibling, grandparent, or parent.
(3) "Parental leave" means leave to bond and care for a newborn child after birth or to bond and care for a child after placement for adoption or foster care, for a period of up to sixteen weeks after the birth or placement.
(4) "Pregnancy disability" means a pregnancy-related medical condition or miscarriage.
(5) "Severe" or "extraordinary" condition is defined as serious, extreme or life threatening.
(6) "Service in the uniformed services" means the performance of duty on a voluntary or involuntary basis in a uniformed service under competent authority and includes active duty, active duty for training, initial active duty for training, inactive duty training, full-time national guard duty including state-ordered active duty and a period for which a person is absent from a position of employment for the purpose of an examination to determine the fitness of the person to perform any such duty.
(7) "Uniformed services" means the armed forces, the army national guard, and the air national guard of any state, territory, commonwealth, possession, or district when engaged in active duty for training, inactive duty training, full-time national guard duty, or state active duty, the commissioned corps of the public health service, the coast guard and any other category of persons designated by the President of the United States in time of war or national emergency.