SUBSTITUTE SENATE BILL 5666
State of Washington 55th Legislature 1997 Regular Session
By Senate Committee on Commerce & Labor (originally sponsored by Senators Schow, Prentice, Roach, Patterson, Goings, Swecker, Newhouse, Benton, Bauer, Horn, Loveland, Finkbeiner, Wood, Wojahn, Sellar, Rasmussen and Anderson)
Read first time 02/24/97.
AN ACT Relating to permitting employers to accommodate indoor smoking in the workplace; adding new sections to chapter 49.17 RCW; and declaring an emergency.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 49.17 RCW to read as follows:
(1) Any rule adopted under this chapter restricting smoking in the workplace shall include provisions permitting employer policies as authorized in this section.
(2) An employer's policy restricting smoking in the workplace must include a provision for a designated enclosed smoking room if a smoking room policy is included in a collective bargaining agreement applicable to the workplace or, if no collective bargaining agreement applies, the employees of the employer agree to a written smoking room policy. The designated smoking room is deemed to meet any ventilation requirements of this chapter if it is ventilated as required by the written smoking room policy.
(3) The written smoking room policy must be kept on file by the employer and made available to employees on request.
(4) This section does not apply to a workplace if a statute expressly prohibiting indoor smoking applies to that workplace.
(5) This section may not be construed to require any employer to provide a smoking room.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. A new section is added to chapter 49.17 RCW to read as follows:
No advertising, sales, or sampling of cigarettes or tobacco products are permitted in the designated smoking rooms.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect immediately.
--- END ---