S-0463.1  _______________________________________________


                         SENATE BILL 5784



State of Washington      55th Legislature     1997 Regular Session


By Senators Swecker, Haugen and Rasmussen


Read first time 02/12/97.  Referred to Committee on Government Operations.

Conditioning certain building permits on connecting to public water systems.

    AN ACT Relating to conditioning building permits on connecting to public water systems; and amending RCW 19.27.097.




    Sec. 1.  RCW 19.27.097 and 1995 c 399 s 9 are each amended to read as follows:

    (1) Each applicant for a building permit of a building necessitating potable water shall provide evidence of an adequate water supply for the intended use of the building.  Evidence may be in the form of a water right permit from the department of ecology, a letter from an approved water purveyor stating the ability to provide water, or another form sufficient to verify the existence of an adequate water supply.  In addition to other authorities, the county or city may impose conditions on building permits requiring connection to an existing public water system where the existing system is willing and able to provide safe and reliable potable water to the applicant with reasonable economy and efficiency.  The county or city shall require connection to a public water system operated by a water district, public utility district, or other special purpose district providing potable water service if the building will be located within the service area of the district and the district has requested the county or city to impose such condition on the permit.  An application for a water right shall not be sufficient proof of an adequate water supply.

    (2) Within counties not required or not choosing to plan pursuant to RCW 36.70A.040, the county and the state may mutually determine those areas in the county in which the requirements of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply.  The departments of health and ecology shall coordinate on the implementation of this section.  Should the county and the state fail to mutually determine those areas to be designated pursuant to this subsection, the county may petition the department of community, trade, and economic development to mediate or, if necessary, make the determination.

    (3) Buildings that do not need potable water facilities are exempt from the provisions of this section.  The department of ecology, after consultation with local governments, may adopt rules to implement this section, which may recognize differences between high-growth and low-growth counties.


                            --- END ---