HOUSE BILL 2167
State of Washington 57th Legislature 2001 Regular Session
By Representatives Woods, Esser, Hankins and Rockefeller
Read first time 02/20/2001. Referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to proof of financial responsibility as a requirement for vehicle registration; and amending RCW 46.16.040 and 46.16.210.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 46.16.040 and 1987 c 244 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
original vehicle license shall be made on ((
[a])) a form
furnished for the purpose by the department. Such application shall be made by
the owner of the vehicle or duly authorized agent over the signature of such
owner or agent, and the applicant shall certify that the statements therein are
true to the best of the applicant's knowledge. The application must show:
(1) Name and address of the owner of the vehicle and, if the vehicle is subject to a security agreement, the name and address of the secured party;
(2) Trade name of the vehicle, model, year, type of body, the identification number thereof;
(3) The power to be used‑-whether electric, steam, gas or other power;
(4) The purpose for which said vehicle is to be used and the nature of the license required;
(5) The licensed gross weight for such vehicle which in the case of for hire vehicles and auto stages with seating capacity of more than six shall be the adult seating capacity thereof, including the operator, as provided for in RCW 46.16.111. In the case of motor trucks, tractors, and truck tractors, the licensed gross weight shall be the gross weight declared by the applicant pursuant to the provisions of RCW 46.16.111;
(6) The unladen weight of such vehicle, if it be a motor truck or trailer, which shall be the shipping weight thereof as given by the manufacturer thereof unless another weight is shown by weight slip verified by a certified weighmaster, which slip shall be attached to the original application;
(7) Information as to proof of financial security for the future meeting the requirements of RCW 46.29.260; and
(8) Such other information as shall be required upon such application by the department.
Sec. 2. RCW 46.16.210 and 1997 c 241 s 8 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Upon receipt of the application and proper fee for original vehicle license, the director shall make a recheck of the application and in the event that there is any error in the application it may be returned to the county auditor or other agent to effectively secure the correction of such error, who shall return the same corrected to the director.
(2) Application for the renewal of a vehicle license shall be made to the director or his agents, including county auditors, by the registered owner on a form prescribed by the director. The application must be accompanied by the certificate of registration for the last registration period in which the vehicle was registered in Washington unless the applicant submits a preprinted application mailed from Olympia, and the payment of such license fees and excise tax as may be required by law. The application must also include information as to proof of financial insurance for the future meeting the requirements of RCW 46.29.260. Such application shall be handled in the same manner and the fees transmitted to the state treasurer in the same manner as in the case of an original application. Any such application which upon validation becomes a renewal certificate need not have entered upon it the name of the lien holder, if any, of the vehicle concerned.
(3) Persons expecting to be out of the state during the normal renewal period of a vehicle license may secure renewal of such vehicle license and have license plates or tabs preissued by making application to the director or his agents upon forms prescribed by the director. The application must be accompanied by the certificate of registration for the last registration period in which the vehicle was registered in Washington and be accompanied by such license fees, and excise tax as may be required by law.
(4) Application for the annual renewal of a vehicle license number plate to the director or the director's agents shall not be required for those vehicles owned, rented, or leased by the state of Washington, or by any county, city, town, school district, or other political subdivision of the state of Washington or a governing body of an Indian tribe located within this state and recognized as a governmental entity by the United States department of the interior.
--- END ---