HOUSE BILL 1750





                        57th Legislature

                2001 Regular Legislative Session


Passed by the House April 18, 2001

  Yeas 93   Nays 0




Speaker of the House of Representatives




Speaker of the House of Representatives





Passed by the Senate April 12, 2001

  Yeas 40   Nays 6



We, Timothy A. Martin and Cynthia Zehnder, Co-Chief Clerks of the House of Representatives of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is HOUSE BILL 1750  as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on the dates hereon set forth.




                          Chief Clerk




                          Chief Clerk

President of the Senate




Approved Place Style On Codes above, and Style Off Codes below.              




Governor of the State of Washington

                   Secretary of State

                  State of Washington



                          HOUSE BILL 1750



                     AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE


             Passed Legislature - 2001 Regular Session


State of Washington      57th Legislature     2001 Regular Session


By Representatives Fisher, Mitchell, Simpson, Schindler, Wood, Hurst and Ogden


Read first time 02/05/2001.  Referred to Committee on Transportation.

Authorizing cities and towns to require full compensation from abutting property owners for street vacations. 

    AN ACT Relating to street vacations; and amending RCW 35.79.030.




    Sec. 1.  RCW 35.79.030 and 1987 c 228 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:

    The hearing on such petition may be held before the legislative authority, or before a committee thereof upon the date fixed by resolution or at the time said hearing may be adjourned to.  If the hearing is before such a committee the same shall, following the hearing, report its recommendation on the petition to the legislative authority which may adopt or reject the recommendation.  If such hearing be held before such a committee it shall not be necessary to hold a hearing on the petition before such legislative authority.  If the legislative authority determines to grant said petition or any part thereof, such city or town shall be authorized and have authority by ordinance to vacate such street, or alley, or any part thereof, and the ordinance may provide that it shall not become effective until the owners of property abutting upon the street or alley, or part thereof so vacated, shall compensate such city or town in an amount which does not exceed one-half the appraised value of the area so vacated((, except in the event the subject property or portions thereof were acquired at public expense, compensation may be required in an amount equal to the full appraised value of the vacation:  PROVIDED, That such)).  If the street or alley has been part of a dedicated public right-of-way for twenty-five years or more, the city or town may require the owners of the property abutting the street or alley to compensate the city or town in an amount that does not exceed the full appraised value of the area vacated.  The ordinance may provide that the city retain an easement or the right to exercise and grant easements in respect to the vacated land for the construction, repair, and maintenance of public utilities and services.  A certified copy of such ordinance shall be recorded by the clerk of the legislative authority and in the office of the auditor of the county in which the vacated land is located.  One-half of the revenue received by the city or town as compensation for the area vacated, must be dedicated to the acquisition, improvement, development, and related maintenance of public open space or transportation capital projects within the city or town.


                            --- END ---