S-0157.1  _______________________________________________


                         SENATE BILL 5009



State of Washington      57th Legislature     2001 Regular Session


By Senators Stevens, Kohl‑Welles, Honeyford, Hochstatter and Gardner


Read first time 01/08/2001.  Referred to Committee on Natural Resources, Parks & Shorelines.

Modifying the definition of "water-dependent use."

    AN ACT Relating to aquatic residences; and amending RCW 79.90.465.




    Sec. 1.  RCW 79.90.465 and 1984 c 221 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:

    The definitions in this section apply throughout chapters 79.90 through 79.96 RCW.

    (1) "Water-dependent use" means a use which cannot logically exist in any location but on the water.  Examples include, but are not limited to, water-borne commerce; terminal and transfer facilities; ferry terminals; watercraft sales in conjunction with other water-dependent uses; watercraft construction, repair, and maintenance; moorage and launching facilities; aquaculture; log booming; and public fishing piers and parks.  "Water-dependent use" includes moorage facilities that accommodate boats used as a place of residence by the owner.

    (2) "Water-oriented use" means a use which historically has been dependent on a waterfront location, but with existing technology could be located away from the waterfront.  Examples include, but are not limited to, wood products manufacturing, watercraft sales, fish processing, petroleum refining, sand and gravel processing, log storage, and house boats.  For the purposes of determining rent under this chapter, water-oriented uses shall be classified as water-dependent uses if the activity either is conducted on state-owned aquatic lands leased on October 1, 1984, or was actually conducted on the state-owned aquatic lands for at least three years before October 1, 1984.  If, after October 1, 1984, the activity is changed to a use other than a water-dependent use, the activity shall be classified as a nonwater-dependent use.  If continuation of the existing use requires leasing additional state-owned aquatic lands and is permitted under the shoreline management act of 1971, chapter 90.58 RCW, the department may allow reasonable expansion of the water-oriented use.

    (3) "Nonwater-dependent use" means a use which can operate in a location other than on the waterfront.  Examples include, but are not limited to, hotels, condominiums, apartments, restaurants, retail stores, and warehouses not part of a marine terminal or transfer facility.

    (4) "Log storage" means the water storage of logs in rafts or otherwise prepared for shipment in water-borne commerce, but does not include the temporary holding of logs to be taken directly into a vessel or processing facility.

    (5) "Log booming" means placing logs into and taking them out of the water, assembling and disassembling log rafts before or after their movement in water-borne commerce, related handling and sorting activities taking place in the water, and the temporary holding of logs to be taken directly into a processing facility.  "Log booming" does not include the temporary holding of logs to be taken directly into a vessel.

    (6) "Department" means the department of natural resources.

    (7) "Port district" means a port district created under Title 53 RCW.

    (8) The "real rate of return" means the average for the most recent ten calendar years of the average rate of return on conventional real property mortgages as reported by the federal home loan bank board or any successor agency, minus the average inflation rate for the most recent ten calendar years.

    (9) The "inflation rate" for a given year is the percentage rate of change in the previous calendar year's all commodity producer price index of the bureau of labor statistics of the United States department of commerce.  If the index ceases to be published, the department shall designate by rule a comparable substitute index.

    (10) "Public utility lines" means pipes, conduits, and similar facilities for distribution of water, electricity, natural gas, telephone, other electronic communication, and sewers, including sewer outfall lines.

    (11) "Terminal" means a point of interchange between land and water carriers, such as a pier, wharf, or group of such, equipped with facilities for care and handling of cargo and/or passengers.

    (12) "State-owned aquatic lands" means those aquatic lands and waterways administered by the department of natural resources or managed under RCW 79.90.475 by a port district.  "State-owned aquatic lands" does not include aquatic lands owned in fee by, or withdrawn for the use of, state agencies other than the department of natural resources.


                            --- END ---