SENATE BILL 5699
State of Washington 57th Legislature 2001 Regular Session
By Senators Carlson, Benton, Honeyford, Hale and Zarelli
Read first time 01/31/2001. Referred to Committee on Higher Education.
AN ACT Relating to the Washington state scholars program; amending RCW 28A.600.100 and 28A.600.110; and adding a new section to chapter 28A.600 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1. RCW 28A.600.100 and 1990 c 33 s 499 are each amended to read as follows:
Each year high ((
school students, who live in the state of Washington (( graduate a
significant number of students who have distinguished)) and either
attend a public or private high school in Washington or commute to a private
high school in Oregon or Idaho, distinguish themselves through outstanding
academic achievement. The purpose of RCW 28A.600.100 through 28A.600.150 is to
establish a consistent and uniform program which will recognize and honor the
accomplishments of these students; encourage and facilitate privately funded
scholarship awards among them; stimulate the recruitment of outstanding
students to Washington public and private colleges and universities; and allow
educational and legislative leaders, as well as the governor, to reaffirm the
importance of educational excellence to the future of this state.
Sec. 2. RCW 28A.600.110 and 1994 c 234 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:
There is established by the legislature of the state of Washington the Washington state scholars program. The purposes of this program annually are to:
(1) Provide for the selection of three seniors residing in each legislative district in the state graduating from high schools who have distinguished themselves academically among their peers.
(2) Maximize public
awareness of the academic achievement, leadership ability, and community
contribution of high school seniors who attend either a Washington state
and)) or private high school (( seniors)) or a
private high school in Oregon or Idaho if the student continues to live in
Washington and commutes to the private school, through appropriate
recognition ceremonies and events at both the local and state level.
(3) Provide a listing of the Washington scholars to all Washington state public and private colleges and universities to facilitate communication regarding academic programs and scholarship availability.
(4) Make available a state level mechanism for utilization of private funds for scholarship awards to outstanding high school seniors.
(5) Provide, on written request and with student permission, a listing of the Washington scholars to private scholarship selection committees for notification of scholarship availability.
(6) Permit a waiver of tuition and services and activities fees as provided for in RCW 28B.15.543 and grants under RCW 28B.80.245.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. A new section is added to chapter 28A.600 RCW to read as follows:
Each year on or before February 1st, the principal of any student who lives in the state of Washington and commutes to a private high school in Oregon or Idaho may submit to the Washington association of secondary school principals the names of graduating senior high school students who have been identified and recommended to be outstanding in academic achievement based on the criteria established under RCW 28A.600.130. The association shall submit the names of these students to the higher education coordinating board as established in RCW 28A.600.140.
--- END ---