BILL REQ. #: H-0358.1
|State of Washington||58th Legislature||2003 Regular Session|
Read first time 01/24/2003. Referred to Committee on Agriculture & Natural Resources.
AN ACT Relating to vessel registration; and amending RCW 88.02.050.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1 RCW 88.02.050 and 2002 c 286 s 13 are each amended to read
(1) Application for a vessel registration shall be made to the department or its authorized agent in the manner and upon forms prescribed by the department. The application shall state the name and address of each owner of the vessel and such other information as may be required by the department, shall be signed by at least one owner, and shall be accompanied by a vessel registration fee of ten dollars and fifty cents per year and the excise tax imposed under chapter 82.49 RCW. In addition, two additional dollars must be collected annually from every vessel registration application. These moneys must be deposited into the derelict vessel removal account established in RCW 79.100.100. If the department of natural resources indicates that the balance of the derelict vessel removal account reaches one million dollars as of March 1st of any year, the collection of the two-dollar fee must be suspended for the following fiscal year. Any fees required for licensing agents under RCW 46.01.140 shall be in addition to the ten dollar and fifty cent annual registration fee and the two-dollar derelict vessel fee.
(2) For initial registrations, upon receipt of the application ((
and the)), registration fee, excise tax, and derelict vessel fee, the
department shall assign a registration number and issue a decal for
each vessel. For vessel registration renewals, upon the receipt of the
vessel registration fee, excise tax, and derelict vessel fee, the
department shall issue a new decal. The registration number and decal
(( shall be issued and)) must be affixed to the vessel in a manner
prescribed by the department consistent with the standard numbering
system for vessels set forth in volume 33, part 174, of the Code of
Federal Regulations. A valid decal affixed as prescribed (( shall))
indicates compliance with the annual registration requirements of this
(3) The vessel registrations and decals are valid for a period of one year, ((
except that the director of licensing may extend or
diminish vessel registration periods, and the decals therefor, for the
purpose of staggered renewal periods. For registration periods of more
or less than one year, the department may collect prorated annual
registration fees and excise taxes based upon the number of months in
the registration period. Vessel registrations are renewable every year
in a manner prescribed by the department upon payment of the vessel
registration fee, excise tax, and the derelict vessel fee. Upon
renewing a vessel registration, the department shall issue a new decal
to be affixed as prescribed by the department.)) and the registration
period commences at 12:01 a.m. on the date of the calendar year
designated by the department and ends at 12:01 a.m. on the same date of
the next succeeding calendar year. If a vessel registration previously
issued in this state has expired and is renewed with a different
registered owner, a new registration year commences upon the date the
expired registration is renewed in order that the renewed registration
is useable for a full twelve-month period.
(a) Each registration year may be divided into twelve registration months. Each registration month commences on the day numerically corresponding to the day of the calendar month on which the registration year begins, and terminates on the numerically corresponding day of the next succeeding calendar month.
(b) If the final day of a registration year or month falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the period extends through the end of the next business day.
(4) When the department issues either a notice to renew a vessel registration or a decal for a new or renewed vessel registration, it shall also provide information on the location of marine oil recycling tanks and sewage holding tank pumping stations. This information will be provided to the department by the state parks and recreation commission in a form ready for distribution. The form will be developed and prepared by the state parks and recreation commission with the cooperation of the department of ecology. The department, the state parks and recreation commission, and the department of ecology shall enter into a memorandum of agreement to implement this process.
(5) A person acquiring a vessel from a dealer or a vessel already validly registered under this chapter shall, within fifteen days of the acquisition or purchase of the vessel, apply to the department or its authorized agent for transfer of the vessel registration, and the application shall be accompanied by a transfer fee of one dollar.