|State of Washington||58th Legislature||2004 Regular Session|
READ FIRST TIME 02/06/04.
AN ACT Relating to off-campus disruptive behavior of higher education students; and adding a new section to chapter 28B.10 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1 A new section is added to chapter 28B.10 RCW
to read as follows:
(1) Each institution of higher education shall adopt rules regarding disruptive off-campus conduct of students, including sanctions. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, counseling, probation, suspension, or expulsion.
(2) As used in this section, "disruptive off-campus conduct" means any conduct that results in a citation or conviction for the violation of laws or ordinances and that:
(a) Interferes with the institution of higher education's relationship with the surrounding community;
(b) Harms the reputation of the institution of higher education; or
(c) Violates the institution of higher education's policies.
(3) As used in this section, "off-campus" means neighborhoods, businesses, and public places that are proximate to the campus of the institution.
(4) Rules adopted under this section may not violate the civil rights of students protected under the Constitution of the United States or the state of Washington. The rules must also provide due process procedures for students who have been accused of disruptive off-campus conduct.
(5) Each institution of higher education shall report the substance of the rules adopted under this section to the higher education committees of the legislature by December 1, 2004.