|Passed by the House March 11, 2003|
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Passed by the Senate April 15, 2003
President of the Senate
I, Cynthia Zehnder, Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is HOUSE BILL 1815 as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on the dates hereon set forth.
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
|State of Washington||58th Legislature||2003 Regular Session|
Read first time 02/11/2003. Referred to Committee on Financial Institutions & Insurance.
AN ACT Relating to defining security account under the uniform transfer on death security registration act; and amending RCW 21.35.005.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1 RCW 21.35.005 and 1993 c 287 s 1 are each amended to read
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Beneficiary form" means a registration of a security that indicates the present owner of the security and the intention of the owner regarding the person who will become the owner of the security upon the death of the owner, referred to as a "beneficiary."
(2) "Devisee" means any person designated in a will to receive a disposition of real or personal property.
(3) "Heirs" means those persons, including the surviving spouse, who are entitled under the statutes of intestate succession to the property of a decedent.
(4) "Person" means an individual, a corporation, an organization, or other legal entity.
(5) "Personal representative" includes executor, administrator, successor personal representative, special administrator, and persons who perform substantially the same function under the law governing their status.
(6) "Property" includes both real and personal property or any interest therein and means anything that may be the subject of ownership.
(7) "Register," including its derivatives, means to issue a certificate showing the ownership of a certificated security or, in the case of an uncertificated security, to initiate or transfer an account showing ownership of securities.
(8) "Registering entity" means a person who originates or transfers a security title by registration, and includes a broker maintaining security accounts for customers and a transfer agent or other person acting for or as an issuer of securities.
(9) "Security" means a share, participation, or other interest in property, in a business, or in an obligation of an enterprise or other issuer, and includes a certificated security, an uncertificated security, and a security account.
(10) "Security account" means (a) a reinvestment account associated with a security; a securities account with a broker; a cash balance in a brokerage account; or cash, cash equivalents, interest, earnings, or dividends earned or declared on a security in an account, a reinvestment account, or a brokerage account, whether or not credited to the account before the owner's death; ((
or)) (b) an investment
management or custody account with a trust company or a trust division
of a bank with trust powers, including the securities in the account;
a cash balance in the account; and cash, cash equivalents, interest,
earnings, or dividends earned or declared on a security in the account,
whether or not credited to the account before the owner's death; or (c)
a cash balance or other property held for or due to the owner of a
security as a replacement for or product of an account security,
whether or not credited to the account before the owner's death.
(11) "State" includes any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and any territory or possession subject to the legislative authority of the United States.