|Passed by the House March 10, 2004|
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Passed by the Senate March 10, 2004
President of the Senate
I, Richard Nafziger, Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is SUBSTITUTE HOUSE BILL 2988 as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on the dates hereon set forth.
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
|State of Washington||58th Legislature||2004 Regular Session|
READ FIRST TIME 02/06/04.
AN ACT Relating to foster parents' rights; and adding new sections to chapter 74.13 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1 A new section is added to chapter 74.13 RCW
to read as follows:
A foster parent who believes that a department employee has retaliated against the foster parent or in any other manner discriminated against the foster parent because:
(1) The foster parent made a complaint with the office of the family and children's ombudsman, the attorney general, law enforcement agencies, or the department, provided information, or otherwise cooperated with the investigation of such a complaint;
(2) The foster parent has caused to be instituted any proceedings under or related to Title 13 RCW;
(3) The foster parent has testified or is about to testify in any proceedings under or related to Title 13 RCW;
(4) The foster parent has advocated for services on behalf of the foster child;
(5) The foster parent has sought to adopt a foster child in the foster parent's care; or
(6) The foster parent has discussed or consulted with anyone concerning the foster parent's rights under this chapter or chapter 74.15 or 13.34 RCW,
may file a complaint with the office of the family and children's ombudsman. The office of the family and children's ombudsman shall include its recommendations regarding complaints filed under this section in its annual report pursuant to RCW 43.06A.030. The office of the family and children's ombudsman shall identify trends which may indicate a need to improve relations between the department and foster parents.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2 A new section is added to chapter 74.13 RCW
to read as follows:
The department shall develop procedures for responding to recommendations of the office of the family and children's ombudsman as a result of any and all complaints filed by foster parents under section 1 of this act.