|Passed by the House March 11, 2009|
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Passed by the Senate April 23, 2009
President of the Senate
I, Barbara Baker, Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is SECOND SUBSTITUTE HOUSE BILL 1290 as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on the dates hereon set forth.
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
|State of Washington||61st Legislature||2009 Regular Session|
READ FIRST TIME 03/03/09.
AN ACT Relating to local tourism promotion areas; amending RCW 35.101.010; and adding a new section to chapter 35.101 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1 RCW 35.101.010 and 2003 c 148 s 1 are each amended to read
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Area" means a tourism promotion area.
(2) "Legislative authority" means the legislative authority of any county with a population greater than forty thousand ((
but less than
one million)), or of any city or town within such a county, including
unclassified cities or towns operating under special charters.
However, in any county with a population of one million or more, the
legislative authority shall be comprised of two or more jurisdictions
acting jointly as the legislative authority under an interlocal
agreement created under chapter 39.34 RCW for the joint establishment
and operation of a tourism promotion area.
(3) "Lodging business" means a person that furnishes lodging taxable by the state under chapter 82.08 RCW that has forty or more lodging units.
(4) "Tourism promotion" means activities and expenditures designed to increase tourism and convention business, including but not limited to advertising, publicizing, or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists, and operating tourism destination marketing organizations.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2 A new section is added to chapter 35.101 RCW
to read as follows:
(1) A legislative authority shall contract, prior to the effective date of an ordinance imposing a lodging charge under RCW 35.101.050, for the administration and collection of the charge by the state department of revenue. The department may deduct a percentage amount, as provided by contract, for the administration and collection expenses incurred by the department.
(2) This section only applies to a legislative authority consisting of a county with a population of one million or more or a city or town within such a county.