|Passed by the House March 23, 2009|
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Passed by the Senate March 31, 2009
President of the Senate
I, Barbara Baker, Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is HOUSE BILL 1322 as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on the dates hereon set forth.
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
|State of Washington||61st Legislature||2009 Regular Session|
Read first time 01/19/09. Referred to Committee on Health Care & Wellness.
AN ACT Relating to scoliosis screening in schools; creating a new section; and repealing RCW 28A.210.180, 28A.210.190, 28A.210.200, 28A.210.210, 28A.210.220, 28A.210.240, and 28A.210.250.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1 The legislature recognizes that schools and
their health personnel are important elements in ensuring the health of
Washington's youth. Allowing school personnel to focus their efforts
on providing the best care is essential for continued success.
Schools are currently required to screen students for scoliosis, which affects approximately two to three percent of the general population. Detection and identification of cases that require medical attention is vital. However, the legislature finds that schools are not the ideal setting for these screenings, nor are they the best use of school health personnel resources. The lack of a simple and rapid test that provides reliable diagnoses results in referrals to unnecessary care, which is limited in effectiveness for mild to moderate cases. This may lead to financial and emotional hardship for the student and family. Scoliosis screening is more appropriately provided as part of preventive care by a student's primary care provider.
Removing scoliosis screening as a responsibility of school districts will result in more reliable diagnoses, and allow school health personnel to focus their efforts on improving the health of their unique student populations.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2 The following acts or parts of acts are each
(1) RCW 28A.210.180 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Purpose) and 1991 c 86 s 1, 1990 c 33 s 201, 1985 c 216 s 1, & 1979 c 47 s 1;
(2) RCW 28A.210.190 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Definitions) and 1991 c 86 s 2, 1990 c 33 s 202, 1985 c 216 s 2, & 1979 c 47 s 2;
(3) RCW 28A.210.200 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Examination of children -- Personnel making examinations, training for) and 1991 c 86 s 3, 1990 c 33 s 203, 1985 c 216 s 3, & 1979 c 47 s 3;
(4) RCW 28A.210.210 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Records -- Parents or guardians notification, contents) and 1990 c 33 s 204, 1985 c 216 s 4, & 1979 c 47 s 4;
(5) RCW 28A.210.220 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Distribution of rules, records and forms) and 1990 c 33 s 205 & 1979 c 47 s 5;
(6) RCW 28A.210.240 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Pupils exempt, when) and 1985 c 216 s 5 & 1979 c 47 s 6; and
(7) RCW 28A.210.250 (Screening program for scoliosis -- Sanctions against school officials failing to comply) and 1990 c 33 s 207 & 1979 c 47 s 7.