|Passed by the House February 13, 2010|
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Passed by the Senate March 3, 2010
President of the Senate
I, Barbara Baker, Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is SECOND SUBSTITUTE HOUSE BILL 1591 as passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on the dates hereon set forth.
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
|State of Washington||61st Legislature||2010 Regular Session|
READ FIRST TIME 01/25/10.
AN ACT Relating to the use of certain transportation benefit district funds; and amending RCW 36.73.015, 36.73.120, and 82.14.0455.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1 RCW 36.73.015 and 2006 c 311 s 24 are each amended to read
The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "District" means a transportation benefit district created under this chapter.
(2) "City" means a city or town.
(3) "Transportation improvement" means a project contained in the transportation plan of the state ((
or)), a regional transportation
planning organization, city, county, or eligible jurisdiction as
identified in RCW 36.73.020(2). A project may include investment in
new or existing highways of statewide significance, principal arterials
of regional significance, high capacity transportation, public
transportation, and other transportation projects and programs of
regional or statewide significance including transportation demand
management. Projects may also include the operation, preservation, and
maintenance of these facilities or programs.
Sec. 2 RCW 36.73.120 and 2007 c 329 s 4 are each amended to read
(1) Subject to the provisions in RCW 36.73.065, a district may impose a fee or charge on the construction or reconstruction of commercial buildings, industrial buildings, or on any other commercial or industrial building or building space or appurtenance, or on the development, subdivision, classification, or reclassification of land for commercial purposes, only if done in accordance with chapter 39.92 RCW.
(2) Any fee or charge imposed under this section shall be used exclusively for transportation improvements ((
constructed by a
district)) as defined in RCW 36.73.015. The fees or charges imposed
must be reasonably necessary as a result of the impact of development,
construction, or classification or reclassification of land on
identified transportation needs.
(3) If a county or city within the district area is levying a fee or charge for a transportation improvement, the fee or charge shall be credited against the amount of the fee or charge imposed by the district.
Sec. 3 RCW 82.14.0455 and 2006 c 311 s 16 are each amended to
read as follows:
(1) Subject to the provisions in RCW 36.73.065, a transportation benefit district under chapter 36.73 RCW may fix and impose a sales and use tax in accordance with the terms of this chapter. The tax authorized in this section is in addition to any other taxes authorized by law and shall be collected from those persons who are taxable by the state under chapters 82.08 and 82.12 RCW upon the occurrence of any taxable event within the boundaries of the district. The rate of tax shall not exceed two-tenths of one percent of the selling price in the case of a sales tax, or value of the article used, in the case of a use tax. Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, the tax may not be imposed for a period exceeding ten years. This tax, if not imposed under the conditions of subsection (2) of this section, may be extended for a period not exceeding ten years with an affirmative vote of the voters voting at the election.
(2) The voter-approved sales tax initially imposed under this section after July 1, 2010, may be imposed for a period exceeding ten years if the moneys received under this section are dedicated for the repayment of indebtedness incurred in accordance with the requirements of chapter 36.73 RCW.
(3) Money received from the tax imposed under this section must be spent in accordance with the requirements of chapter 36.73 RCW.