|SB 5197 - DIGEST|
|(AS OF SENATE 2ND READING 3/05/19)|
Creates the Washington national guard postsecondary education grant program.
Requires the program to be administered by the office of student financial assistance, and requires the office to: (1) With the assistance of the state military department, select eligible students to receive the grant; and notify participants of their additional service obligation or required repayment of the grant;
(2) Award grants funded by federal and state funds, private donations, or repayments from a participant who does not complete his or her service obligation;
(3) Adopt rules and policies, including establishing a priority for eligible students;
(4) Adopt participant selection criteria; and
(5) Collect repayments from participants who do not meet the service obligations.
Changes, for purposes of this act: (1) The name of the office of the adjutant general of the state military department to the office of student financial assistance; and
(2) The Washington state national guard conditional scholarship program to the Washington national guard postsecondary education grant program.