SENATE BILL 5899
State of Washington
2022 Regular Session
BySenators Liias, Pedersen, Kuderer, Mullet, and Saldaña
Read first time 01/19/22.Referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to a sales and use tax deferral for projects to improve the state route number 520 corridor; amending RCW 47.01.412
; creating a new section; and providing an effective date.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
and 2008 c 270 s 7 are each amended to read as follows:
(1)(a) Any person involved in the construction of the state route number 520 bridge replacement and HOV project may apply for deferral of state and local sales and use taxes on the site preparation for, the construction of, the acquisition of any related machinery and equipment that will become a part of, and the rental of equipment for use in, the project.
(b) Application shall be made to the department of revenue in a form and manner prescribed by the department of revenue. The application must contain information regarding estimated or actual costs, time schedules for completion and operation, and other information required by the department of revenue. The department of revenue shall approve the application within ((sixty))60 days if it meets the requirements of this section.
(2) The department of revenue shall issue a sales and use tax deferral certificate for state and local sales and use taxes imposed or authorized under chapters 82.08
, 82.12, and 82.14
RCW and RCW 81.104.170
on the project.
(3) A person granted a tax deferral under this section shall begin paying the deferred taxes in the ((fifth))24th year after the date certified by the department of revenue as the date on which the project is operationally complete. The project is operationally complete under this section when the replacement bridge is constructed and opened to traffic. The first payment is due on December 31st of the ((fifth))24th calendar year after the certified date, with subsequent annual payments due on December 31st of the following nine years. Each payment shall equal ((ten))10 percent of the deferred tax.
(4) The department of revenue may authorize an accelerated repayment schedule upon request of a person granted a deferral under this section.
(5) Interest shall not be charged on any taxes deferred under this section for the period of deferral, although all other penalties and interest applicable to delinquent excise taxes may be assessed and imposed for delinquent payments under this section. The debt for deferred taxes is not extinguished by insolvency or other failure of any private entity granted a deferral under this section.
(6) Applications and any other information received by the department of revenue under this section are not confidential and are subject to disclosure. Chapter 82.32
RCW applies to the administration of this section.
(7) For purposes of this section, "person" has the same meaning as in RCW 82.04.030
and also includes the department of transportation.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. The provisions of RCW 82.32.805 and 82.32.808 do not apply to this act.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. This act takes effect July 1, 2022.
--- END ---