HOUSE BILL NO. 1203
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1989 Regular Session
By Representatives Sayan, Ballard, Zellinsky, Ferguson, O'Brien, Jones, Basich, Prentice, Leonard, Rayburn, Crane, Jacobsen, P. King and Winsley
Read first time 1/18/89 and referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to license plates; and adding a new section to chapter 46.16 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 46.16 RCW to read as follows:
(1) A resident of this state may, in addition to the application required by RCW 46.16.040, apply to the department for a set of license plates designed by the department to indicate that the recipient of the plates is a member of the Washington national guard if he or she:
(a) Is currently a member of either the army or air national guard of Washington; and
(b) Has at least one year of membership or enlistment remaining at the time of his or her application.
(2) The plates shall be issued upon payment of the regular license fee and furnishing proof satisfactory to the department that the recipient fulfills the requirements provided by subsection (1) of this section. Only one motor vehicle owned by the applicant may be so licensed at any one time.
(3) If the license plates issued pursuant to this section are lost, stolen, or mutilated, the recipient of the plates shall be issued replacement plates upon request and without charge.
(4) The plates shall remain with the recipient upon transfer or other disposition of the vehicle, and may be used on another motor vehicle registered to the recipient in accordance with the provisions of RCW 46.16.595 for such transfers.
(5) Upon separation from the Washington national guard, the recipient shall return such plates to the department and shall relicense his or her vehicle within fifteen days as otherwise provided for in this chapter.