ENGROSSED HOUSE BILL NO. 1412
AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE
Passed Legislature - 1989 Reg. - Governor Vetoed
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1989 Regular Session
By Representatives Kremen, Hankins, Heavey, Beck, Braddock, Basich, Baugher, Winsley, Day, G. Fisher, Prentice, Todd, R. Meyers, Jones, D. Sommers, Prince, S. Wilson, Gallagher, Betrozoff, Walker, Wood, Haugen, Smith, Cantwell, Cooper, Pruitt, Zellinsky, K. Wilson, R. Fisher, Tate, Rector, Rasmussen, Youngsman, Doty, Schoon, Moyer, Wineberry, McLean, Dorn, Crane, Nealey, Sayan, Valle, Inslee, Jesernig, Fraser, Nutley, Patrick, H. Myers, Rayburn, R. King, Miller, Spanel, Brooks, Hargrove, Anderson, Sprenkle, Scott, Grant, Dellwo, May, Van Luven, Bowman, Horn, Fuhrman, Silver, Ferguson, Jacobsen, P. King, Morris and Phillips
!ae110Read first time 1/25/89 and referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to remembrance tabs for honorably discharged veterans; adding a new section to chapter 46.16 RCW; and providing an effective date.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 46.16 RCW to read as follows:
(1) The department shall issue upon payment of a five-dollar fee and proof from an honorably discharged veteran, a remembrance tab depicting the American flag.
(2) Veterans who served in our nation's wars and conflicts, can upon request and payment of a five-dollar fee and proof of service, receive a remembrance tab depicting the campaign ribbon the veteran was awarded. Only the following six campaign ribbon remembrance tabs will be available: American Expedition Force, WW I, 1917-1919; Pacific Theatre WW II, 1941-1945; European Theatre WW II, 1941-1945; Korean War, 1950-1954; Vietnam War, 1965-1973; Armed Forces Expeditionary, 1958-1984.
(3) A remembrance tab shall be placed only on the front license plate of the veteran's motor vehicle, in an area designated by rule of the department.
(4) A veteran requesting remembrance tabs from the department shall provide a copy of his or her discharge papers (DD-214) along with payment of the fee. A veteran requesting a remembrance tab or tabs must be the legal or registered owner of the motor vehicle on which remembrance tabs are to be displayed.
(5) The veterans' remembrance account is created in the custody of the state treasurer. All receipts from the sale of remembrance tabs shall be deposited into the fund. Expenditures from the fund may be used only for the costs of production of remembrance tabs and administration of the program by the department of licensing, with the balance used only by the department of veterans' affairs for projects that pay tribute to those living veterans and to those who may have died defending freedom in our nation's wars and conflicts, the upkeep and operations of existing memorials, as well as for planning, acquiring land for, and constructing future memorials. Only the director of licensing, the director of veterans' affairs, or their designees may authorize expenditures from the fund. The fund is subject to allotment procedures under chapter 43.88 RCW, but no appropriation is required for expenditures.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. Section 1 of this act shall become effective January 1, 1990.