SUBSTITUTE HOUSE BILL NO. 1597
AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE
C 223 L 90
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1990 Regular Session
By House Committee on State Government (originally sponsored by Representatives Patrick, Tate, Sayan, Bowman, Nelson, Todd, Brumsickle and Rust)
Read first time 2/2/90.
AN ACT Relating to the practice of geology; creating new sections; and providing an expiration date.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. The legislature finds that it may be in the public interest to establish qualifications for geologists and for the practice of professional geological work.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. The department of licensing shall conduct an evaluation of the practice of professional geological work and make recommendations to the legislature as to what extent it is in the public interest to regulate the practice of geological work. In conducting the evaluation, the department shall consult and work with geologists, including professional geological organizations directly involved in the practice of geology within the state of Washington. The department's findings and recommendations shall be submitted to the legislature by December 1, 1990.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. In the event the department finds that regulation of geological work is in the public interest, the department shall prepare a legislative proposal to implement such recommendation. The proposal may include, but not be limited to, the following items:
(1) Definitions and criteria for qualification and practice as a professional geologist in Washington state;
(2) The composition of a professional geologist board, including provisions for terms of office, rotation of members, and method of appointment;
(3) Powers and responsibilities of the board;
(4) Maintenance of a roster of professional geologists; and
(5) A system of reciprocity with other states.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. This act shall expire June 30, 1991.