SUBSTITUTE HOUSE BILL NO. 1759
AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE
C 370 L 89
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1989 Regular Session
By House Committee on Appropriations (originally sponsored by Representatives Peery, Betrozoff, Crane and Winsley)
Read first time 3/6/89.
AN ACT Relating to educational staff; and adding a new section to chapter 28A.04 RCW.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. A new section is added to chapter 28A.04 RCW to read as follows:
(1) The state board of education and the state board for community college education, in consultation with the superintendent of public instruction, the higher education coordinating board, the state apprenticeship training council, and community colleges, shall work cooperatively to develop by September 1, 1992, a ninety unit educational paraprofessional associate of arts degree.
(2) As used in this section, an "educational paraprofessional" is an individual who has completed an associate of arts degree for an educational paraprofessional. The educational paraprofessional may be hired by a school district to assist certificated instructional staff in the direct instruction of children in small and large groups, individualized instruction, testing of children, recordkeeping, and preparation of materials. The educational paraprofessional shall work under the direction of instructional certificated staff.
(3) The training program for an educational paraprofessional associate of arts degree shall include, but is not limited to, the general requirements for receipt of an associate of arts degree and training in the areas of introduction to childhood education, orientation to handicapped children, fundamentals of childhood education, creative activities for children, instructional materials for children, fine art experiences for children, the psychology of learning, introduction to education, child health and safety, child development and guidance, first aid, and a practicum in a school setting.
(4) In developing the program, consideration shall be given to transferability of credit earned in this program to teacher preparation programs at colleges and universities.
(5) The agencies identified under subsection (1) of this section shall adopt rules as necessary under chapter 34.05 RCW to implement this section.