HOUSE BILL NO. 2016
C 339 L 89
State of Washington 51st Legislature 1989 Regular Session
By Representatives Miller, Jacobsen, Spanel, Heavey, Wood, Belcher, H. Myers, Inslee, Rector, Hankins, Anderson, O'Brien, R. King, Valle, Winsley, Jesernig, P. King and Kremen
Read first time 2/15/89 and referred to Committee on Higher Education. Referred 2/22/89 to Committee on Appropriations.
AN ACT Relating to gender equity in athletics; and creating a new section.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. The higher education coordinating board and the office of the superintendent of public instruction shall jointly sponsor a gender equity in athletics conference for coaches, administrators, teachers, sports information personnel, persons involved in community sports programs, others involved in interscholastic and intercollegiate athletic programs, and the media. The conference shall be held during the 1990 calendar year. The purposes of the conference include, but are not limited to:
(1) Identifying barriers to achieving equitable participation and scholarship opportunities for female athletes;
(2) Identifying measures, such as tuition waivers, to achieve equal opportunities for male and female athletes in intercollegiate and interscholastic athletic programs;
(3) Helping women take leadership roles in athletic programs;
(4) Encouraging the media to report and publicize girls' and womens' sports programs;
(5) Providing an opportunity for coaches and other professionals to receive needed certification;
(6) Identifying measures to encourage women to become coaches and administrators of sports programs; and
(7) Improving communication and cooperation among athletic personnel from higher education, the common schools, and community sports programs.